160 posts in this topic

Is it the bottom of one of your shoes?

6 minutes ago, Pauloceratops said:

Is it the bottom of one of your shoes?

@Pauloceratops welcome to The Forum.  :)  This topic is 7 pages long; you can see the page numbers at the bottom of each page.  It's a fascinating story and investigation once you completely read the topic.  ;) 

Ahh yes...if Dolf Seilacher said (and published) that it was some kind of special concretion then that must be right. Shame that he is no longer with us. A great man.

Very interesting. I have never seen anything like it at all.

Wow! What a gorgeous find.....thank you for posting it.........is it made of chert Sir?

(Paul Stevenson, Rugby, England, MSc MA)

Nice examples, Lori! 

Thanks for posting them here. 

Regards,

Great ones, Lori! :)
Your specimens are close to those I've mentioned in my post in page 5 of the topic, related to icycatelf 's  find. In that thread Carl said "... I have seen this on nodules in South Dakota in the badlands." - referring, probably, to ones like yours.

link to that thread

2 people finds this informative

11 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

Great ones, Lori! :)
Your specimens are close to those I've mentioned in my post in page 5 of the topic, related to icycatelf 's  find. In that thread Carl said "... I have seen this on nodules in South Dakota in the badlands." - referring, probably, to ones like yours.

link to that thread

Thank you for the link, abysunder. I don't know how you are able to keep track of everything. You must have a photographic memory. It is clear that I'm going to have to start following more threads! A lot of times if something seems to have been identified, I just take a look and move on. I should have known Carl would have seen these before. Coprolites and concretions are the best! :)

1 person finds this informative

Wonderful thread! Just saw it for the first time and am amazed by the complexity of the object. I would add that the reason I am convinced that it is of geological origin is not that a giant in the field wrote a paper with similar objects photographed, but rather that the paper puts forth arguments for formation that are convincing. In other words, I don't believe him because of his high reputation, his reputation is high because I believe him. A sort of minor cart/ horse issue.

3 people finds this informative

Wow! This is really beautiful!