We can't figger this one out. ( SOLVED : COUNTER SEPTARIAN STRUCTURES!)

PRK

6 minutes ago, Pauloceratops said:

Is it the bottom of one of your shoes?

@Pauloceratops welcome to The Forum.  :)  This topic is 7 pages long; you can see the page numbers at the bottom of each page.  It's a fascinating story and investigation once you completely read the topic.  ;) 

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Ahh yes...if Dolf Seilacher said (and published) that it was some kind of special concretion then that must be right. Shame that he is no longer with us. A great man.

Very interesting. I have never seen anything like it at all.

Wow! What a gorgeous find.....thank you for posting it.........is it made of chert Sir?

(Paul Stevenson, Rugby, England, MSc MA)

• 2 weeks later...

I looked at this post early on when everyone still thought it was most likely an artifact. All I can say is WOW! Nature is amazing! While reading the paper posted by @Doctor Mud I saw a bit of a similarity between the counter septarian structure in 15d and some concretions I found in the Hell Creek Formation near Marmarth, ND, last August. While no where near as spectacular as the one in this post, I thought I would share it anyway. What is interesting about the ones I encountered, is that they appeared to have 3 different layers. The first photos are of a single sample I brought home. In the first photo you can see the middle layer and a bit of the outer layer on the lower right. On the second photo, you can see what looks like a smooth inner core. The last photo is of one I did not collect. I just photographed it because I thought it was fun since it looked like an egg. I only saw these around one particular butte, in a sandy layer that didn't contain any fossils.

IMG_6527-small.jpg

IMG_6530-small.jpg

Arrival-Day-Hike-EggConcretion-sm.jpg

• I found this Informative 6

Nice examples, Lori! 

Thanks for posting them here. 

Regards,

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Great ones, Lori! :)
Your specimens are close to those I've mentioned in my post in page 5 of the topic, related to icycatelf 's  find. In that thread Carl said "... I have seen this on nodules in South Dakota in the badlands." - referring, probably, to ones like yours.

link to that thread

• I found this Informative 2

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

11 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

Great ones, Lori! :)
Your specimens are close to those I've mentioned in my post in page 5 of the topic, related to icycatelf 's  find. In that thread Carl said "... I have seen this on nodules in South Dakota in the badlands." - referring, probably, to ones like yours.

link to that thread

Thank you for the link, abysunder. I don't know how you are able to keep track of everything. You must have a photographic memory. It is clear that I'm going to have to start following more threads! A lot of times if something seems to have been identified, I just take a look and move on. I should have known Carl would have seen these before. Coprolites and concretions are the best! :)

• I found this Informative 1

• 1 month later...

Wonderful thread! Just saw it for the first time and am amazed by the complexity of the object. I would add that the reason I am convinced that it is of geological origin is not that a giant in the field wrote a paper with similar objects photographed, but rather that the paper puts forth arguments for formation that are convincing. In other words, I don't believe him because of his high reputation, his reputation is high because I believe him. A sort of minor cart/ horse issue.

• I found this Informative 5

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
29 minutes ago, Rank Amateur said:

My guess is that it is part of  a broken memento someone threw or dropped into the stream. 

Did You read the whole thread?

It was determined to be a natural geologic creation, not man made.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

May want to lock this thread to further comments due to it's length and complexity. It is a fascinating thread but no need to resurrect it every time some one sees the first picture and comments.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

• Kane locked this topic
  • JohnJ unlocked this topic

On the other hand, every time someone makes a new comment, the awesomeness of this topic is exposed to a whole new set of members that are completely unaware it exists. Keeping it unlocked insures a greater potential it will enlighten others in the future.

:) ;) :D

• I found this Informative 13

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

• 2 months later...
On 11/5/2017 at 12:04 AM, JohnJ said:

On the other hand, every time someone makes a new comment, the awesomeness of this topic is exposed to a whole new set of members that are completely unaware it exists. Keeping it unlocked insures a greater potential it will enlighten others in the future.

:) ;) :D

Agreed!  Just stumbled on this today, so cool!!  I thought for sure this was an indian artifact!! 

Thanks for the thread!

Great geological sleuthing!

A very enjoyable read :) 

Hope it has made its way into a museum by now... 

It's just a matter of time. :)
Carl discovered an older picture of one of the specimens he mentioned, so I put it here and make the connection with the thread.

CS.jpg.8404053e69e493457e2fe648f761e6df.thumb.jpg.61dbcba18f5ef724255b42abcbd7f59a.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/23/2016 at 8:58 AM, Carl said:

FOUND IT! It was in Seilacher's Trace Fossil Analysis:

1 SMALL.jpg  2 SMALL.jpg

Awesome! I would have bet the farm,if I had one, that was man made.

• I found this Informative 1

• 1 month later...

Looks like Byzantinian style to me. Or atlas somewhere in that vicinity. Maybe it has something to do with the Crusaders possibly and their supposed venture over to America to hide their treasures. Try looking around the area for anymore artifacts that would lead to be in that time period.

3 minutes ago, DirtDetector said:

Looks like Byzantinian style to me. Or atlas somewhere in that vicinity. Maybe it has something to do with the Crusaders possibly and their supposed venture over to America to hide their treasures. Try looking around the area for anymore artifacts that would lead to be in that time period.

Although the object in the OP looks like an ancient art piece - it was established that it is not man made and was formed by unusual geologic processes.

Please read all 7 pages for a full explanation.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

5 minutes ago, ynot said:

Although the object in the OP looks like an ancient art piece - it was established that it is not man made and was formed by unusual geologic processes.

Please read all 7 pages for a full explanation.

Oh wow, very neat. After looking at the picture above, I do remember seeing it in a book before. Very unusual and fascinating.

• Fossildude19 changed the title to We can't figger this one out. SOLVED : COUNTER SEPTARIAN STRUCTURES

Somehow only got round to look at this now... 

And wow, I was not disappointed to read all 7 pages!!! This is why I love nature. 

@PRK Any news from your buddy on where this specimen is headed? 

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

• 1 month later...

This was one of the posts that helped convince me to stay on TFF. I was so impressed by the teamwork, general open mindedness to even consider it wasn’t man made and all the knowledge of geological forms shared to hypothesize, enlighten and educate. 

I could see the love of fossils, rocks and geology working together in a community of like minded individuals to solve a very intriguing and awesome mystery of the coolest geologic form I had ever seen. 

I was pretty much hooked after that. That, all the cool fossils and trip reports. 

You core members of TFF that are on here on practically a daily basis are pretty awesome and cool.

Thank you for making TFF the great place it is. I’m glad I stayed and I’ve been enriched, enlightened and educated by practically every one of you at one time or another over the past 8 months or so.

Thanks

Kim

• I found this Informative 7