Bizarre Dinosaur Bone

Prehistoria

This fragment of dinosaur bone was in the old Hobberlin Museum collection, stuffed into a milk crate with a bunch of Cretaceous material from Alberta, Canada. Most seemed to be segments of long bones, but this stood out to me.

Any help would be appreciated! 

20161119_160702-1.jpg

2016-11-19 17.38.21.jpg

It would help to have photos of the ends.  

It has the look of hadrosaur skull material but...?  there is a similar looking predentary structure beyond the teeth but hard to tell. There is also some postorbital pieces with a similar curve.

Do you have a location? The 'look', sand and ironstone veneer is common preservation found in the Horseshoe Canyon Formation.  This is exposed along the Red Deer River and tributaries from Dry Island Buffalo Jump down to Drumheller. 

Unfortunately this museum lost funding and shut down with only 30 days notice. The owners just threw the artifacts into their barn and into bins under a tarp in the field. 15 years later almost everything had some type of damage. An entire bin of dino eggs spent a decade submerged in water and was reduced to mud.

The computer was in a bin of water and rusted out, the binders of paper fared no better. To make things trickier, the paleontologist founder of the museum now suffers from severe dementia. 

Needless to say, we acquired more mysteries than presentable specimens!

2016-11-19 18.35.27.jpg

2016-11-19 18.37.59.jpg

Sad story about all the specimens! Hope you can solve most of the mysteries :)

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

I'm not a dino skull person. If there isnt teeth or a fragment of frill, hard to distinguish the various curves.  This photo shows the complexities of a hadrosaur skull. The fragments are common finds but trying to orient them is difficult.

re The demise of the fossil museum.  Its another caveat when donating fossils. Does the recipient have long term means of taking care of the specimens?  Even fossils donated to universities have had similar fate.  Keeping everything curated up to date helps along with some 'plan' for when we become fossils ourselves.  In our paleo society we warn about potential 'driveway gravel'.

IMG_5780.JPG

I would call it probably a surangular.  See the drawing in Canadawest's previous post.  I would say I am 80% certain of that call.  troodon?  

Archived