Opinions on this fossil lizard please

britishcanuk

On 11/26/2016 at 4:40 PM, snolly50 said:

Based on the photos alone, I believe you will be pleased when it arrives. 

That snolly must be psychic!!!! LOL, glad you are happy with your fine acquisition.   

• I found this Informative 1

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Good to hear the gamble paid off. It does indeed look real. Good prep job as well.

I'm seeing some infill on the matrix here and there though. It might just be minor infill for stability. But I'm wondering if there's not some reconstruction of even fabrication of bone here and there. It's not uncommon to see different fossils combined into one to make more complete animals.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

It appears as though the infill was restricted to the matrix, in the areas I've highlighted in red. I believe the specimen is whole, and in tact. There is a small amount of matrix repair that spills into the left hand, which may or may not have been worked, but if it was it is minor and difficult to determine. 

Thanks for looking, and for your thoughts!

IMG_1220.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

Congratulations.  :trex:

Glad you got a nice one.

Thanks for the update. 

Regards,

EDIT: Earlier in this thread, ... I meant to post the link to this post about reconstruction. Just got lost in the shuffle. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

4 hours ago, aplomado said:

Man, that looks nice!  Did you get a good deal on it?

I think I did, but confess that I have no idea what something like this would sell for as I've never looked for or seen another one on the market. My understanding is that vertebrate fossils like this one are banned from export out of china and have been for years, so I am lucky to have come across a specimen that was brought in prior to the ban.

These fossils from china frequently look like this. However, many of them are painted on. I haven't encountered one this large either. Check for a bulge on the back of the shale, or use UV to look for repairs. Lot's of real ones look almost just like this though.