Did i find a dinosaur bone?

dmagnu00

I was raking leaves in the backyard, and in the water of a tiny stream in the wooded/swamp area i found what appears to be a large, petrified bone of some kind. Who can tell me what it is? Its hard and brittle like rock and ive found native american artifacts in the same area. Found in Channahon, Illinois.

1479690528432-371820341.jpg

1479690596853832820419.jpg

1479690646532-510543450.jpg

The area you live in is not conducive in finding dinosaur remains due to shallow seas and millions of years of glacial activity that would have in essence relocated, buried or destroyed these remains. Your find looks modern. Its possible it might be ice age related as animals from this Era are found on occasion in your area. Giant beavers and other forms of rodenta have been found from Norther Illinois to southern Illinois. I'm not saying it's from one of the above mentioned animals, but it might be a possibility. I am by no means an expert, far from it to be honest. In my opinion, I believe it to be a modern middle phalanx bone from a pig. The discoloration can be attributed to the minerals and other sedimentary molecules in the area. Let's wait and see what the others have to say.

Best regards,

Paul

• I found this Informative 1

...I'm back.

modern or ice age cow or bison toe bone.  That is my guess... semi-educated.  

Certainly not dinosaur.  Dinosaur toe bones do not have the groove on base of the end that is quite evident in the last photo. 

I am also leaning towards a bone of foot, so i agree it might be a phalange. If it is heavier than it should for a bone of this size and if it has a stony touch, it is fossilized (even if it is from a modern animal). If that's not the case, the fact that it is discolored by the minerals and the sediments, it is because it is there since a "long" time and maybe in its way to fossilization.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

It is definantly of stone consistency. Almost like ceramic. After some basic internet searches i found this to look most like an extinct species of modern horse if not large hoofed species from around the last ice age. Thank you all for the replies it definantly edicated me on this subject. I dont usually hunt fossils, but i walk for antler sheds. Ive been on a 2 year dry spell with no luck, but i have found some cool items like this and arrowheads, along with horn coral fossils.

Since it's symmetrical, it's not cow or bison. So yes, horse is a good candidate.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

It is a nice horse (Equus) first phalanx, I would say.

Phalanges.jpgText_Phalanges.jpg

excerpt from Atlas of Animal Bones. For Prehistorians, Archaeologists and Quaternary Geologists - Elisabeth Schmid; Elsevier, New York, 1972.

Also, you could check this topic for similar ones :

• I found this Informative 2

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library