Rookie needs help with ID-found in illinois.

Thefossildude

This could be a few things: a brachiopod, part of a horn coral, or possibly some other invertebrate. It's a shame this little guy isn't more complete, as I could be a little more confident in an ID! Whatever it is, it does look neat. I lean most towards brachiopod. 

I like crinoids......

Some general information about the location you found it would help...like, county...river name. It could come from natural erosion from a rock face or erratic glacial deposition. Thanks

Best regards,

Paul

...I'm back.

I would also lean toward brachiopod. I find relatively coarse ridged shells of them that are crushed and distorted as this appears to be.

This would be a piece of the internal mold. The ridges would likely be to some extent an overprinted external feature.

Welcome to the Forum ! :)
I see it as a sedimentary rock with a shell imprint on one side.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Probably a chert nodule with a brachiopod imprint.  Probably Paleozoic era.  Possibly wash out of the Appalahian mountains, but could be from material out of Michigan, 
Wisconsin, Minnesota area.

ashcraft, brent allen

I vote for @abyssunder's opinion.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg