Florida Creek Hunt 11/18

Cam28

After work last friday drove out to South Florida for a few hours of daylight to dig. But well worth it. 'Early on' found the most beautiful hemi lower, multicolored with intact tiny cusps on the side, my first. Had a gut feeling there had to be other good fossils nearby and wasn't wrong. Even found another stunning hemi eventually. Also a decent 'mako'/hastalis, couple horse teeth, big jaw section, my first quality tapir tooth, etc.. South Florida provides with hard work & many parts of luck. Overall my best fossil hunt of the year yet.

I'm not sure what the skinny rib-like fossil is but I suspect fish? Only my 2nd pufferfish mouth plate, & usually I don't alter fossils too much, but there's enough solidified dirt if anyone has any tips for how I can clean it off without damaging the fossil I would deeply appreciate it.

(P.S. No pics on the creek because my dry pak doesn't fit my current car key and my phone. I'll figure out something though)

088 edited.jpg

062 edited.jpg

004 edited.jpg

013 edited.jpg

014 edited.jpg

086 edited.jpg

118 edited.jpg

Great finds, seems like a very successful hunt!:yay-smiley-1:

Max

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Nice finds Cam. Not sure about prepping the mouth part. Short of some mechanical abrading I'm wondering if that is calcareous or siliceous and maybe a little vinegar might loosen it....Maybe Jack or Harry or one of the other river hunters can offer some insight as to what the matrix is and how to get rid of it. 

Continued hunting success! 

Regards, Chris