NE Oklahoma Large Mammal fossil ID

Montana Matty

I recently found a large phalanx bone in NE Oklahoma in the Arkansas River. I think it's from a Bison but I'm not sure because it is much bigger than the ones I have seen. It is roughly 3.5 inches long. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

IMG_3118.JPG

IMG_3119.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Hello, and welcome to :tff::D

I agree with @fifbrindacier, it definitely looks like a phalanx from a horse.

The photos here are from a horse phalanx from the North Sea in my collection. You can see the similarity.

Best regards,

Max

image7.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Some more photos

image6.jpeg

image8.jpeg

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

And more :P

image9.jpeg

Max Derème

The last one:

image10.jpeg

Max Derème

Equus phalanx I, I agree wiht the others. Nice find! :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Thanks everyone for the help! I didn't even think it could be a horse. Here are some of the teeth Infounf as well. They have great color. I'm pretty sure these are Bison.

IMG_3115.JPG

Could you take photos of both ends of them ? It is important because you can find here tiny details indispensables for a good identification.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

In memory of Doren

I'm happy I could help!

And great teeth too! In my opinion, the bigger one looks like bison indeed (though I'm not sure). But the second one kinda makes me think of deer...

Let's wait for the others to give their thoughts;)

Best regards,

Max

Max Derème

Thanks for your feedback. I was thinking both are Bison teeth because of the isolated stylid in the middle of the tooth (you can see it in the first picture of the group of three pictures). I'm no expert so i could be wrong.

I found another bone that I am trying to ID. I know it's a cannon bone but not sure what to.  It is about 9 inches long and 2.25 inches thick at the thickest part. There are some interesting looking scratch marks you can see in the second picture. Could those be from an animal or do you think it is normal wear and tear? I found another cannon which is the third picture, I think it is a Bison from the size and thickness, 8 inches long and 2.75 inches wide. Once again, any help/ideas are very appreciated.

IMG_3133.PNG

IMG_3134.PNG

IMG_3136.PNG

The teeth in question are probably from bison, according to their large dimensions.  Bison teeth are more robust than bos/cow teeth. Camelids don't have isolated stylyds on their teeth.
The bones in the last pictures looks to be metatarsals and/or metacarpals of bos or bison.

Metacarpus.jpgMetacarpus_text.jpgMetatarsus.jpgMetatarsus_text.jpg

excerpt from Atlas of Animal Bones. For Prehistorians, Archaeologists and Quaternary Geologists - Elisabeth Schmid; Elsevier, New York, 1972.

• I found this Informative 5

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I think they are both bison teeth, not all the teeth have the same shape and size on a jaw (look at our own incisives canines and molars).

In memory of Doren

Sorry I was wrong about the teeth:P

And about the first cannon bone, I have the feeling the scratches have just occurred during the fossilization process. Of course, I might be wrong again...

Anyways once again amazing finds,

Best regards,

Max

Max Derème

First of all end views of the proximal articulation of the bones are necessary.

For the second bone I would say - Bison.

IMG_3136.PNG.b1b1eae124384cd0179089f877644e44.jpgThe_Prehistoric_Cave_Art_and_Archaeology_of_Dunbar.jpg

Fig 10 - picture from J.F. Simek et al. 2011. The prehistoric cave art and archaeology of Dunbar Cave, Montgomery County, Tennessee. Journal of Cave and Karst Studies, v. 74, no. 1, p. 19–32.

The first one doesn't look like a camelid metapodial, to me.

IMG_3133.PNG.9374c0c5eab9fb943400db6efcf6be4c.jpgThe cross-breed camel had been most likely used as a riding and transport animal by the Ottoman army during the Siege of Vienna in 1683. Pictured are various views of the camel's metacarpus, which is part of.jpg

Second picture - various views of the camel's metacarpus  More information Here

Lama.jpg

Isabel Cartajena et al. 2010. New camelid (Artiodactyla: Camelidae) record from the late Pleistocene of Calama (Second Region, Chile): a morphological and morphometric discussion. Revista Mexicana de Ciencias Geológicas, v. 27, núm. 2, p. 197-212.

Thomas Mann

My Library