At least one of these is a tooth? Right ?

Jonelle

@Plantguy I think you are right about the ray tooth! The roundness threw me because I see tons of those and i didn't even recognize it until i was looking at it again earlier, it looks like a ray tooth turned pebble stone.. I'm going to keep looking and see if I can spot some more pieces similar to the brown bone, it really doesn't look like anything else I've seen, but new stuff seems to pop up everyday ;) I also have a bunch of other ones I need to look closer at, some are tan as well. I'm going to have to google what the whole plate would look like, I think I have one somewhere(it was given to me by someone). Also, I need to bug you with a unrelated question if you don't mind since you are so knowledgeable about the area! I'll message you if that's okay 

Thanks @ynot :D but I live in Florida lol ;) I was hoping to find something other than shark!! Isn't it like a right of passage over here?! I was looking over what I had and I also found the broken one and that thing on the bottom right was in the pile I don't remember picking it up maybe my husband did- but I'm guessing not a tooth. Thanks for the ID

IMG_8481.JPG

They all look like teeth (shark), but the bottom right is in real bad shape.

Tony

PS For identifications it would be better if You start a new thread. Most will look and see something they do not know about and will not revisit to see if there is something else on the thread. Also it is easier to keep track of what people are referring to.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

1 hour ago, tmaier said:

The item on the lower right looks like a chunk of bone.

Take a closer look at the right side of it. Appears to be remnants of enamel with a cutting edge.

Just My opinion.

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

" Take a closer look at the right side of it. Appears to be remnants of enamel with a cutting edge."

Doh! I think you are right. I've found chunks of teeth in that condition.

Reading now Chris's post, I agree, the first one looks to be a very worn ray mouth plate, maybe Myliobatis sp. .

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

4 hours ago, tmaier said:

" Take a closer look at the right side of it. Appears to be remnants of enamel with a cutting edge."

Doh! I think you are right. I've found chunks of teeth in that condition.

@ynot is right, I looked at it again after I posted and the enamel is actually in that tiny spot on both sides. It's a pity it isn't in better shape it's thr biggest one I have :( so now that I have a confirmed tooth in that shape is it too far fetched that the brown one could be a tooth?? My initial thought when I picked it up was that it looked like an alligator or crocodile tooth... but I'm probably wrong.. and thanks @abyssunder! Two down one to go! 

7 hours ago, ynot said:

I do not see anything to make Me think the "brown" one is a tooth.

I agree that it looks like a phosphate nodule.

Tony

I agree with that.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

I am voting with Plantguy on the first one being part of a very worn ray tooth.  That was my first thought after seeing the very first photo based on the apparent ridges.   

On 22 novembre 2016 at 8:38 PM, FossilDAWG said:

I think the shell might be a barnacle plate.  The other two may be highly worn bone, or a broken phosphate nodule.

Don

On 22 novembre 2016 at 6:07 PM, fifbrindacier said:

@tmaier and @Vieira, i remember the shell you're speaking, but its name escapes me also. It has a valve very much bigger than the other and used it to fix itself on the soil, the rocks and some of them had spines to grab on another individual.

What i first thought of is richtofenia, an animal of the family of brachiopods. But that's not that at all and i must agree with @FossilDAWG's ID of barnacle plate.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Archived