dinosaur wedding....

jpc

Hi folks...

It has been a long summer, but it is finally starting to snow here.  Thought I would share a few adventures from this past summer. This first post is about a wedding.  On the 4th of July, my honey and I got married.  We had thought of just going to the judge and get it done, but I showed her a cool spot for a wedding, and she agreed.  We got married on a not-yet-excavated dinosaur in the late Cretaceous of eastern Wyoming.  

Here is the site.  It is on a buffalo ranch.  That is the herd in the distance.  

bP3052270.jpg

We went out on the spring with some friends who actually like to plan weddings (I don't get it), and this big guy prevented us from going to the site.  We had to wait.  Of course this led to the question of what if the herd is right here on wedding day?  I guess you gotta have something to worry about in a wedding.  

bP3052268.jpg

And here are Pickles and Snickers, two dogs named after food.  They are standing on the bones we were to get married on. This is on that same spring recon outing with the wedding planners.  The bones are orange-ish.  They are encased in a white rock.  Between the photographer's feet and the dogs is the sacrum of the animal.  I am tentatively IDing this as a ceratopsian.  Between the dogs and under Pickles (the black dog) is what I think is the pubis or ischium.  And lots of pieces of bone all over the place.

bP3052287.jpg

The next photo shows the same pile of bones in the foreground.  In the background is Becky (future wife in this photo) pointing to another bone coming out of the continuation of the same white rock.  I suspect there is quite a bit of this guy in the ground.

bP6091249.jpg

Fast Forward to the fourth of July.  We managed to drag 100 plus people out to this site, an hour plus north of Lusk, Wyoming; 20 plus miles down a dirt road.  Our friends the wedding planners did a great job setting up things like the arbor (chuppah in Hebrew) and the shelter for the sun sensitive, like my 80 year old parents.   

bP7040161.jpg

Note the school bus and porta potty on the horizon.

bIMG_0072.jpg

The weather was actually quite perfect.  We did the ceremony in the morning to avoid the possibility of 100 plus degrees in July.  This is incredibly green for this time of year.  We had a wet spring and summer.  

And here is my lovely bride in among the hoodoos.

JPwedLoRez-115.jpg

And now for the official ceremony.  And there was much rejoicing.  

JPwedLoRez-132.jpg

But you guys are here for fossils. so on to chapter two.

• I found this Informative 3

So here are some fossils.  Start with the dino sacrum again... this time as part of the ceremony.  Note the fancy footwear of the bride and groom.  

bJPwedLoRez-145.jpg

And here is the crowd amongst the Lance Formation hoodoos.

bJPwedLoRez-161.jpg

The reception was over lunch in town at The Pizza Place... one of Wyoming's top pizza joints. If you ever pass through Lusk, stop in and get a pizza. Tell them JP and Becky sent you.  There was cake with dinosaur toppers and a dry ice volcano and champagne for all.  If you look closely you might even be able to see some silly Star Wars candies in front of the cake (I blame Becky).  

b13533090_10210409458422409_7430476593002263643_n.jpg   bJPwedLoRez-243.jpg

bJPwedLoRez-222.jpg

And then it was off to the fossil fields for some ammoniting.  I am the guy in the blue-gray backpack explainicating to folks what to look for and where and how and all that.  

bIMG_0005.jpg

continued in the next post...

• I found this Informative 1

There were some lovely ammoites off on this hill. And some socializing to be done. 

bIMG_0027.jpg 

bIMG_0039.jpg

Here is a sample of the day's catch (besides a new spouse for Becky and I).  That is a clam on the topmost rock.  

bIMG_0811.jpg

My nephew Luc thought the dead cow was even more interesting... (he actually flew home to PA with these bones... there is hope for this young fella.. I did the same thing the first time I spent a summer out here). 

bIMG_0043.jpg

And because it was an outdoor Wyoming wedding here are some animals who helped us celebrate.

PS..Pickles was the ring-bearer.

bIMG_0024.jpg

bP7040186.jpg

bP3052299.jpg

Thanks for reading.  Happy Thanksgiving to all the Yanks onboard.  

• I found this Informative 2

Hi,

Nice report JP ! You are beautiful and Becky is pretty too, but I know you only ... beautiful ! :D

Thank you for the report of this beautiful and unforgettable day in a magnificent frame. What and originality ! In France I don't think that we could make so ; finally I know nothing about taht. I love the pic of both dinosaurs just married !

Hello to Becky ;)

Coco

Congratulations, JP!  :yay-smiley-1:

Best wishes to you both!

Great wedding! :) 

Regards,

Now that is the most romantic paleontologic event that I have ever virtually experienced! Congratulations to you both! And good luck with the excavation!

Very best wishes to the happy couple,

It's wonderful to have someone to share your life. It's an even greater blessing, if you share an interest as well.

Thanks for the account of the unique ceremony.  

This definitely put a smile on my face. Best wishes to you both, and thank you so much for sharing the fossil-themed festivities with us!

Congratulations and best wishes to you both!  Now THAT is how to do a wedding!

-Joe

It appears that we have here two incredibly rare specimens--known in the literature as 'soul mates'.

Cheers.

-Ken

Thanks, y'all.  Yes, it was a unique wedding.  One reason we did it on the fourth of July in Lusk is because for a town of 1500 Lusk puts an a really good fireworks display.  They have a crew of fanatics who make the fireworks over thee course of the year.  Yes... they make them.

The dinosaur will probably never get excavated.  It is is a concretion which is a heckuva lot of work.  Our museum excavated a t rex in a concretion and it took two people three years to prep it.  

• I found this Informative 1

Congratulations, JP! I can only hope my gf will go for something as relaxed and fun as that. Lol

Hope you two share many years of happiness.

Question: What are the creatures in the picture between the Jackrabbit and the beetle?

It sure looks like you have lots to be thankful for this Thanksgiving, and the 4th of July will have added meaning too. Congratulations from Massachusetts. What a wedding!!!!!!!!  

Congrats!  Enjoyed your ceremony. What a great way to start off life...a greal gal and fossils!

My collecting friend was married in Dinosaur Provincial Park.  We all camped out.  It was hot so afterwards went for a dip in the Red Deer River.

End of collecting season?  No snow yet in southern Alberta so we are heading  out to the badlands tomorrow.  The issue is more one of lack of daylight hours. The acute angle of the sun is hard on the eyes.  One year we went fossiling on Christmas Eve ...'All I want for Christmas is two Tyrannosaurus front teeth'. 

53 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Question: What are the creatures in the picture between the Jackrabbit and the beetle?

Pronghorn... a Wyoming specialty although they range into all the neighboring states and more.  Also called pronghorn antelope, although not really an antelope at all.  Anitlocapra americana.  

40 minutes ago, Canadawest said:

Congrats!  Enjoyed your ceremony. What a great way to start off life...a greal gal and fossils!

My collecting friend was married in Dinosaur Provincial Park.  We all camped out.  It was hot so afterwards went for a dip in the Red Deer River.

End of collecting season?  No snow yet in southern Alberta so we are heading  out to the badlands tomorrow.  The issue is more one of lack of daylight hours. The acute angle of the sun is hard on the eyes.  One year we went fossiling on Christmas Eve ...'All I want for Christmas is two Tyrannosaurus front teeth'. 

nice... a DPP wedding.  

I could go out fossiling here and now as well, but the short days are tough.  And I have moved into winter prep mode.  I did find one of my best ammonites on Xmas Day in northern Montana one year.  It snowed the next day and the ground was snow covered until March.  That is the way winter should be.