dinosaur wedding....

jpc

Well that was one heck of a unique "collecting trip".  Congratulations you two crazy kids.  A start like that has got to be a great omen for your life together!

Don

Congratulations on getting married. It's great that you found someone who shares your love of fossils that would do such a fun quirky wedding like this. I got married in the museum myself so definitely share in the love of this kind of wedding.

I tried to get married in the 100,000 gallon tank at the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago (before I moved to South Florida). Heard about a couple who had gotten married in the New England Aquarium and was looking for a fitting wedding location (I proposed on the decompression safety stop of our last dive on a Belize dive trip). The Shedd said that they wouldn't allow it (even though I was a donor to the aquarium). I replied that they offered underwater photography and videography courses which concluded with a dive in the "big tank" and so why would a wedding be any different? They stated that it had no educational value. I countered with the offer of wearing full face masks and keeping a running commentary on identifying the fish species in the tank during the service to the rest of the family and friends in attendance surrounding the tank. They didn't go for it and so I got married in a Chinese Restaurant in Chinatown instead (Tammy's Chinese).

Tammy's still my dive buddy and fossil hunting partner after a quarter century of putting up with me. The secret to a happy marriage is knowing how to pick them--I don't know where my wife went wrong but I did pretty good. :P

It's nice to have someone who shares your interests.

Cheers.

-Ken

6 hours ago, jpc said:

Pronghorn... a Wyoming specialty although they range into all the neighboring states and more.  Also called pronghorn antelope, although not really an antelope at all.  Anitlocapra americana.  

Pronghorns need a PR agent.  When people move to or visit Alberta, the animal they are often surprised to see is a Pronghorn on the the short grass prairies.  Wyoming, however, must be Pronghorn heaven.

A Pronghorn running full out is an amazing site. They are the second fastest land animal in the world (after the Cheetah).  They evolved to run fast when Cheetahs were their major predator. Cheetahs became extinct in  N. America during the  ice age.

Home, Home on the range
Where the deer and the antelope ( pronghorns) play.

yeah, I get the same thing here... "What are those deer-like things that aren't deer?" .  Yes, they say half the world's population of Pronghorn live within a 200 mile radius of Casper... which basically means all of Wyoming.  I often count them on solo road trips and regularly get 400 plus in 2 or 3 hours. Back in the Miocene there were dozens of species... now, the sole survivor.  I am a big fan.  Although I don't hunt, they are yummy, too.  And snarge cute.  

8 hours ago, digit said:

I tried to get married in the 100,000 gallon tank at the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago (before I moved to South Florida). Heard about a couple who had gotten married in the New England Aquarium and was looking for a fitting wedding location (I proposed on the decompression safety stop of our last dive on a Belize dive trip). The Shedd said that they wouldn't allow it (even though I was a donor to the aquarium). I replied that they offered underwater photography and videography courses which concluded with a dive in the "big tank" and so why would a wedding be any different? They stated that it had no educational value. I countered with the offer of wearing full face masks and keeping a running commentary on identifying the fish species in the tank during the service to the rest of the family and friends in attendance surrounding the tank. They didn't go for it and so I got married in a Chinese Restaurant in Chinatown instead (Tammy's Chinese).

Tammy's still my dive buddy and fossil hunting partner after a quarter century of putting up with me. The secret to a happy marriage is knowing how to pick them--I don't know where my wife went wrong but I did pretty good. :P

It's nice to have someone who shares your interests.

Cheers.

-Ken

I would have loved to witness the running commentary... 

fifbrindacier

Nice blue sky, nice landscape, nice fossils and, of course, nice groom and bridegroom. :ighappy:

I heard the new administration is going to want to reintroduce the Cheetah to Wyoming to even out the over population of the Pronghorn. Then something else to take care of the Cheetah, and so on, and so on.  It never ends. :P Just kidding of course!

Wolves would probably do well to moderate the Pronghorn population but I'd hope they'd introduce Cougars (aka Catamount/Mountain Lion/Puma/Panther) instead of Cheetahs (given that they are an Afro-asian species). :o

Cheers.

-Ken

2 hours ago, digit said:

Wolves would probably do well to moderate the Pronghorn population but I'd hope they'd introduce Cougars (aka Catamount/Mountain Lion/Puma/Panther) instead of Cheetahs (given that they are an Afro-asian species). :o

Cheers.

-Ken

We just returned being out inthe badlands today.

On the way, pronghorns standing on open low prairie mounds.  Cougars and wolves wouldn't have a chance against them. Cougars stalk and wolves strategize.  Neither is possible against a pronghorn on the open prairie.

Pronghorn major cause of death is starvation during winters with lots of snowfall.  They need wind swept snow free grassland to feed on the sage.  I'm not a hunter but have no issue wih Pronghorn hunting as up to 10 thousand starve each winter in our province.

ha...need to get back to happy thoughts for  the bride and groom!

• 2 months later...

No excavation on this one.  It is in a concretion and would be an incredible amount of work.  

I agree with Canadawest... wolves have no effect on pronghorn.  And mountain lions are already here, but they don't share the same habitat as pronghorn... lions in the trees... and pronghorn in the prairie.  

Thanks all for the well wishes.