Am I allowed to post here everyday? Yes? Okay..

Jonelle

I know if probably gets annoying but I have so much and know so little:blink: I have moved from the shells because I have great reference points now. So to the rocks.. (rock 1) this one is about 2 feet long and there seems to be a couple of things going on here,  but I'm not quite sure what. I'm not sure if that inprint is anything but a hole.. I can not tell D6BE838C-E210-47C7-8FD2-03901D4F231B.jpg (Rock 2) I'm pretty sure I see a couple of prints in this one but I am not sure what they are , imprint is about 4 inches top to bottom.

595A4EB2-2EB2-4993-A20A-A8E1F210B7C5.jpgThanks :) 

• I found this Informative 1

The layered part of the first rock looks like cave onyx (aka flowstone, calcite.).

The rest of that rock should be limestone.

No help here for the other one.

Tony

• I found this Informative 4

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Yep! That was my thought, also. Speleothem  :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

@doushantuo I've been to the springs and caves in central FL I don't know why I didn't connect it to here.. I guess I just never thought about it that way.. I know we are very close to being a sinkhole. :fingerscrossed:but I don't like to think about that 

Actually I take that back! In most of the projections I've seen for the next 50+ years, I'm going to have a beach front property B)lol

Sinkholes are a bit of a geohazard.

I can remember a BBC news item about a bit of Yorkshire (in the UK) disappearing suddenly with almost fatal results.

Parts of Yorkshire are of course underlain by the Permian Magnesian Limestone,which tends to be resolution-prone in places.

I am not sure ,but part of that may be due to bryozoan bioherms and their porosity.

I believe Florida's subsurface stratigraphy is dominated by Neogene bioherms (coral reefs from the Miocene onwards).

Fossil bioherms("reefs) are great hydrocarbon reservoirs because of their porosity.

That very same porosity will mean that meteoric water can penetrate these deposits to greater depths than would be the case with a non-carbonate subsurface.

Imagine this going on for millions of years.

Karstification,evaporite cannibalism,brecciation and hydraulic pumping.

Seawater with a different hydrochemistry than the groundwater interacting at various depths,and achieving greater inland penetration because of that porosity i mentioned..

It just might be the case that Florida is basically built on holes..

• I found this Informative 2

There is no limit for posting, you do not annoy us.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

There are a bunch of neat caves down near the Gainesville area. We went exploring in one a few months back and it was a completely different type of cave than that of the Florida Caverns. It was very interesting because on the surface, you couldn't have ever known about the cave underneath, except for the natural sink holes that had opened up into the cave. Makes you wonder what is really just below the surface in some areas.

• I found this Informative 2

There is a very cool and funny PBS show about Florida aquifers and underground rivers that cut through the deep limestone here. They have divers follow the underground rivers for miles, and a person on the surface tracks them with a radio beacon. They end up walking right through the salad bar of a buffet, following the signal, and they have to explain to people "Pardon us, we are following a diver.".

https://www.google.com/search?q=pbs+show+florida+aquifer+diving&btnG=Search&hl=en&gbv=1

I'm about a quarter mile from a major blue hole spring, and my well is tapped into that aquifer. Wonderful water... it is limestone filtered. I occasionally get bursts of iron (orange colored water), but not often.

When I first moved here about 15 years ago, I was facinated by the blue hole springs, and went snorkling in them several times per week. It is like swimming in an enormous aquarium, the water is so clear. All the water coming out of the holes is about 72 degrees, so you can even go in during the winter.