Sea floor ID and fossils

JagerJagd

The thing pictured in You hand looks like a concretion.

The others look like a limestone exposure.

I can not see any fossils.

Tony

PS it helps if You give location and formation information with the things You post.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

The first daguerreotype illustrates a highly friable limestone exposure, likely of antediluvian origin. That looks like a good place to search for fossils.

The second image is an Easter egg. No, wait... it is limestone, so not likely an Easter egg. I'm gonna say a concretion that has become tumbled around and shaped into a egg by the weather. Hard nodules form in limestone formations and then when they become exposed they crack and melt down, and these hard round nodules start tumbling around. The hard nodules survive. If you crack that open, you will likely find that the inside is quite hard, and not soft like the outside coating.

The third photo might be a fossil, of a natural geological formation. I'm with fossil for this one, but I can't really nail it down specifically. Algae colony, sponge, casts of burrows? This looks more fossiliferous that geological, to me. I'm going with algae.

• I found this Informative 1

21 hours ago, tmaier said:

The first daguerreotype illustrates a highly friable limestone exposure, likely of antediluvian origin. That looks like a good place to search for fossils.

The second image is an Easter egg. No, wait... it is limestone, so not likely an Easter egg. I'm gonna say a concretion that has become tumbled around and shaped into a egg by the weather. Hard nodules form in limestone formations and then when they become exposed they crack and melt down, and these hard round nodules start tumbling around. The hard nodules survive. If you crack that open, you will likely find that the inside is quite hard, and not soft like the outside coating.

The third photo might be a fossil, of a natural geological formation. I'm with fossil for this one, but I can't really nail it down specifically. Algae colony, sponge, casts of burrows? This looks more fossiliferous that geological, to me. I'm going with algae.

I think it is brain coral.

Keep looking! They're everywhere!