Molar Tooth Washed Ashore

Michael D Cooper

This large molar was found by a friend of mine, on a beach on the south east coast of Aldeburgh, England. It's slightly over an 1.5" tall, and the top is roughly 0.75" square.
Any ideas what its from? Any ideas about how old it might be? Is it even a fossil, or is it too modern?

tooth.jpg

Guess I had better go put it back for few thousand years...
Thanks for your response Cris.

12 hours ago, Michael D Cooper said:

Guess I had better go put it back for few thousand years...
Thanks for your response Cris.

a fossil needs to be at least 100,000 years old.

Keep looking! They're everywhere!

Personally, I don't draw a dinstinction between "fossil" or "nonfossil". They are all just specimens of time to me, of equal interest. The word fossil is just an vague adjective that sometimes gets in the way of the description.

16 hours ago, ynot said:

This statement is not correct.

Tony

wait...am I wrong? is it 10,000 years?

Keep looking! They're everywhere!

7 hours ago, fossiling said:

wait...am I wrong? is it 10,000 years?

As far as I know there is no definitive date for a fossil to be a fossil.

Some earlier examples are -- Pompeii and the bog people of England.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

The only objective definition of fossil is something that has been naturally buried. "Subfossils" are called that by some folks if it is Holocene, fossils being Pleistocene and older - but this is arbitrary and based on an imaginary boundary in time. Permineralization doesn't quite work, because I've seen Pleistocene bones that are more heavily permineralized than Oligocene bones - and bones that are millions of years old but essentially not undergone any processes of mineral replacement.

• I found this Informative 2

4 hours ago, tmaier said:

People sometimes call me a fossil. Not sure what they mean by that...

They are mistaken!  You still have that dead smell and your flesh is a bit flexible.  Heading for permineralization, but not quite there yet.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

2 hours ago, caldigger said:

They are mistaken!  You still have that dead smell and your flesh is a bit flexible.  Heading for permineralization, but not quite there yet.

:hearty-laugh:

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Anyways cool find @Michael D Cooper, and I think it's from the Holocene period. Definitely not very old.

Best regards,

Max

• I found this Informative 1

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Michael D Cooper said:

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

You're welcome!;)

Max Derème

I don't know how old could it be, but I will not exclude the possibility of an auroch tooth, considering they were present in the UK. Archaeology Data Service

"
4.8. 7 Bones and other evidence of animals (see also below, 6.3.3) (...)

Calcareous dune sands frequently preserve animal bones, and much of the evidence for the vertebrate fauna of the Scilly Isles and Cornwall comes from dunes and middens. Intertidal peats also preserve bones excellently. Together, dunes and peats represent a key source of information relating to Britain's wild and early domestic fauna, especially from western Britain where, as a result of acid soils, other contexts for bone preservation are few. Many of the older accounts of intertidal peats refer to finds of bones but sometimes these older identifications may not be reliable and, judging by the experience of Westward Ho! (Levitan and Locker 1987), older collections may have amalgamated material from contexts of different dates.
Discoveries of aurochs (wild cattle) are recorded from the Severn Estuary near Lydney (Lucy 1877, 115) and Southampton Docks (Shore and Elwes 1889), and there are many old antiquarian and geological records that mention finds of deer. Many of these animals must have floundered naturally in swampy ground. Elsewhere bones are interpreted as debris from human activities, as with bones of aurochs, pig, red deer, and roe deer in the Westward Ho! Mesolithic midden (Levitan and Locker 1987). "

art10 fig2.jpg

Picture from Brudnicki W. , Brudnicki A. , Kirkiłło-Stacewicz K. , Grzywacz K. , Nowicki W. , Skoczylas B. , Wach J. 2011. THE CHARACTERISTICS OF THE CHEEK TEETH IN AUROCH (BOS PRIMIGENIUS BOJANUS [1827]) FROM THE TUCHOLA FOREST, EJPAU 14(4), #10.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library