Cretaceous Claw

Mike from North Queensland

I have been sifting / sorting through some additional matrix from the cretaceous, Albian of central Queensland Australia and have found another claw this time broken at both ends.

The blood groove is present on both sides and it appears in this specimen it appears the blood vessel also goes into the claw on both sides. I am unsure if this is normal in some specific animals.

Due to size I am guessing bird as the layer the fossil comes from was laid in the middle of a cretaceous sea so to far for a small animal to swim.

The scale in the photos is in millimetres so the specimen is 7 mm at the longest point and 1.5 mm wide.

Thanks in advance for any information or leads that can give additional information on this specimen.

Mike D'Arcy

broken claw 1-1.jpg

broken claw 1-2.jpg

broken claw 1-3.jpg

You already have this book based on a prior post, but in the event you have not yet searched it, as of 1991, only one Cretaceous bird bone was known from Queensland...Vertebrate Paleontology of Australasia by P. Vickers-Rich:

20161125_170302-1.jpg

20161125_170313-1-1.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19

Thanks Jesuslover340

I have a copy of the paper, but as yet none of the bird material I have found overlaps with any other Australian material so I am looking for some papers on comparable material where the photographs are of sufficient size to compare the individual bones.

Mike