Quick Florida Beach Hunt 11/25

Kdeus

My son and I avoided the stores today and headed to the beach for a two hours. It was very crowded (it was a beautiful 80 degree day) but we still managed to come home with some finds - a bunch of teeth (I'm still learning types), a ray barb, three puffer fish plates, drum fish tooth, tilly bone, and more. I would have never known what any of these were if it weren't for this forum. Learning a little at a time. So these finds may not seem like a big deal, but to me, they are :) Also found this tube (at the bottom of the pic) that under a loupe has a lot of tiny holes - I had never seen one. Just a quick shot with the iPhone as I don't want to get my camera out right now.

image1.JPEG

49 minutes ago, Kdeus said:

Also found this tube (at the bottom of the pic) that under a loupe has a lot of tiny holes

Nice finds! Congratulations on the successful hunt (and staying away from the shopping madness).

Better picture of this item would be nice.

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

22 minutes ago, ynot said:

Nice finds! Congratulations on the successful hunt (and staying away from the shopping madness).

Better picture of this item would be nice.

Tony

Thank you! I can take better pics tomorrow, if needed. I don't know what the tube is, but it's quite fascinating. Pics of both ends and side through a magnifying glass.

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

image3.JPG

Nice finds...I wish I was doing that today!

Thinking the tube is part of a crab leg..not sure of a firm ID/genus...looks similar to some from the Tamiami I have but I'm not a crab guy...but if I see em I'll pick em up!

Thanks for showing us...

Regards, Chris 

Crab legs.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

Chris, Thank you! I would have never guessed that! Great ID!

So here's a question I've been trying to figure out. I've been looking on the Florida Geology map and the beach I find these out is just south of Jacksonville, so on the map, this area is listed as holocene sediments. But since this is washing up, would it still be that or classified as something different, and, if so, what? Thanks!

Nice finds! I'm glad you got to spend some quality time with your son!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Hey Kdeus, unfortunately I'm not sure.

Coincidentally, I was also wondering about the same geology question but down in the Melbourne area while I was there this past weekend...there are some Pleistocene/Holocene sediments there-possibly the very same as ones you are looking at...

Because you have drainage thru these areas going east thru to the coast you might be able to infer something but maybe one of the other local collectors over there might have seen that kind of preservation/local geology and will chime in and confirm something. Hopefully my responding here might give your post a 2nd look by others...I wouldnt think a crab leg that fragile and with that detail could travel too far without being completely destroyed. 

Hope someone else with some local experience up that away will chime in. Good luck. 

Here's the link to the geologic map which I'm guessing we are both looking at...

http://ngmdb.usgs.gov/Prodesc/proddesc_9205.htm

Regards, Chris 

Jacksonville geology.jpg

Edited by Plantguy
Forgot to add map units
  • I found this Informative 1

On 11/28/2016 at 8:50 PM, Plantguy said:

Hey Kdeus, unfortunately I'm not sure.

Coincidentally, I was also wondering about the same geology question but down in the Melbourne area while I was there this past weekend...there are some Pleistocene/Holocene sediments there-possibly the very same as ones you are looking at...

Because you have drainage thru these areas going east thru to the coast you might be able to infer something but maybe one of the other local collectors over there might have seen that kind of preservation/local geology and will chime in and confirm something. Hopefully my responding here might give your post a 2nd look by others...I wouldnt think a crab leg that fragile and with that detail could travel too far without being completely destroyed. 

Hope someone else with some local experience up that away will chime in. Good luck. 

Here's the link to the geologic map which I'm guessing we are both looking at...

http://ngmdb.usgs.gov/Prodesc/proddesc_9205.htm

Regards, Chris 

Thank you, Chris! I had been looking at a different map, but I like this one more. Thank you for posting the link.

I, too, am hoping someone can chime in that can help. Since I've started collecting the teeth and other goodies that wash up, this has been on my mind. I hadn't thought about the drainage coming from the east. That's a great point. I was only thinking about the area of the ocean that are releasing all of the beach finds and pushing them in westward toward the beach. Now I've got something else to ponder and possibly research unless someone else chimes in.

I also find it very interesting how beaches just several miles from each other have very different results - one produces a lot and others nada. I guess it's the same with every coastal place. I just find it very interesting to think about.

Thanks again!

Keely