Some Florida finds from yesterday

jcbshark

Got out with Chris (Search4) again yesterday and took a canoe trip up a local creek. The water was a little cool from a couple nights this past week getting down into the 40s but I don't expect much sympathy from most folks on here :D. The air temp made it more bearable but we only hunted for a couple hours before we were both complaining of numb limbs. We didn't find a ton of stuff and rarely knock it out of the park in this creek but when you can get into some decent material the colors and condition make up for that lack of finds.h me and chris.jpgChris and I getting ready for a diph hemis and gar.jpgHemis and gar scalesh horse toe cuboid camel.jpgcamel,horse and an unknown cuboid and phalanxh turtle.jpgsome turtle dermal denticlesh vert2.jpgand lastly an unkown vert, If anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears:)

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

FB_IMG_1480173609576.jpgI'm going to guess the water was 60ish. Wasn't too bad once I couldn't feel my lower body anymore lol. The air temps really makes all the difference though.FB_IMG_1480173588513.jpgWhen I found my mastodon last year it was 57f and I had to take my shirt off too cause I couldn't stand how could it was everytime I'd stand up lol. I think this year I'm finally going to break down and get a wetsuit. I don't think I can do another 45° hunt without one! 

FB_IMG_1480173601224.jpgThe finds were meager but the little ear bone and posterior mako were two I didn't have. Really like the gar scales too.  Can't wait to get back out. Looks like some scouting is in order. 

"Garden scales" is that for weighing your vegetables? Lol!  Don't ya just love auto-correct?  I would suggest something in the realm of 3mm for that suit, depending on how you take cold water. At 45 degrees, I for one would be in a 7mm suit with hood and all the rest of the thermal goodies.

Wet_Pool_Monkey.jpg

Yeah we went out twice with frosty on the ground.  But the day we went to a spot I just couldn't get in it and Jeff only lasted about 15-20 minutes with his suit on.  I think the day I found my Mastodon stated out around 54 and warned up to 57 in the sun.  But the air temp was probably about 70 that day and that's why you can be in the water for 5 hours without dying lol.

I do gold sniping in rivers up in the Sierra Nevada mountains with water temps around 47 degrees (snow runoff) and air temps in the 90's.  I still can't take it for more than a few minutes without a suit.   I do OK with a 7mm suit on my torso, so long as the sun is on my back. If the sun goes behind the clouds or it gets shady...here come the chills!

Thanks for the comments folks:) And it's pretty funny Doren, Chris and I talk about how we'd be gold prospecting if we had that around here. I think all of us are just hunters at heart, doesn't much matter what the actual prize at the end of the hunt is:D

8 hours ago, jcbshark said:

I think all of us are just hunters at heart, doesn't much matter what the actual prize at the end of the hunt is:D

I'll second that. :D

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

On 11/26/2016 at 6:20 PM, jcbshark said:

I think all of us are just hunters at heart, doesn't much matter what the actual prize at the end of the hunt is:D

Yup. Sums up my attitude just perfectly.

Hoping to get out this Saturday and revisit the spot that gave up some partial mammoth teeth last year (for the measly two days I got out). Might have to bring along my 3mm if the water has been that chilly lately. I'm a card carrying Warm Water Wimp (tm) since I've moved to Florida--long gone are the days of diving in 55F water with 5 foot visibility or (egads!) a 34 degree ice dive :faint:

Cheers.

-Ken

• Good luck out there Ken, I was talking to Chris about another group hunt on the peace this season if weather permits. It be nice to see some familiar faces, it's been a while:)

34 minutes ago, jcbshark said:
  • Good luck out there Ken, I was talking to Chris about another group hunt on the peace this season if weather permits. It be nice to see some familiar faces, it's been a while:)

Count me in for that if it happens. :D

youtube-logo-png-46031.png

On 2016-11-26 at 4:20 PM, jcbshark said:

Thanks for the comments folks:) And it's pretty funny Doren, Chris and I talk about how we'd be gold prospecting if we had that around here. I think all of us are just hunters at heart, doesn't much matter what the actual prize at the end of the hunt is:D

So true.  

I've stopped at streams...and started  hiking in with my fishing rod, rock hammer and gold pan.  There was a creek in BC with gold dust in the hard rock creek, fossil leaves and bugs in the younger Eocene shales above...and salmon running through.

I was munching on blueberries and was in heaven ( well, it wasnt Hell as my fingers were frozen).  Cold water...you guys down there have no idea about cold water.

I remember but I'm trying hard to forget the chill of diving under ice.

A Florida TFF meet-up would be great again. So little time last season but hopefully we'll have adequate time to hunt together this time.

Cheers.

-Ken

Glad to see you and Chris getting out and hunting. Thanks for the trip report and congrats on the finds!

Jay

Nice finds guys. Somehow I have yet to find any gar scales or sand tiger like those on a creek/ river (only on beaches/ one phosphate mine trip). Overall can't complain lol 

I second the notion for another group hunt

Thank you guys as well, we ll have to put together something this season for sure:) It's really nice getting together with folks who love the hunt and it certainly ups the odds for an "awesome" find when you have a good number of hunters looking thru material. I have to put an engine in my truck and will likely have to wait till tax time but once it's done will try to get something in the works that we can get out for:dinothumb:

Heck I get excited about getting away from home chores/repairs and simply going into the garage and going thru the piles of stuff I've never done anything with or thought I knew everything about the dang pile. Sometimes its really surprising and sometimes embarrasing what I missed before! Getting out with the group again would be better though! Hope so. Regards, Chris  

For sure Chris, we need to get out this season:)

Archived