Piles of Tree Looking Rocks

nikkisixx

Not at all sure what I'm looking at, but we're at my father-in-law's property in Arizona desertnear the river and we found lots of piles of rocks around that look like tree bark to me. Any help?

EDIT: THIS IS THE LARGER ROCK

THE SECOND PIC IS A DIFFERENT ROCK. For ID purposes I will label the large one Rock A and the smaller one Rock B. This is a pic of Rock A here:

image.jpeg

Welcome to :tff: !

Can You be a litte more specific about the location?

Arizona is all desert and has several rivers.

Pictures from other angles would help also.

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Please take close-ups of the end and the sides to help us determine if this is petrified wood. We are looking for growth rings and a surface texture of wood. To get a close-up you might experiment by taking a photo thru a hand lens.

Also, where was this found within a few miles? A locality will help me determine the rock formation the possible wood is from. Near the Colorado River?

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I found them in Parker, Az/somewhere before the Cactus Wilderness Study. Tomorrow, I can probably get pics of the area I found them, if we go back out again!

You have to reduce the size of the new photos to 3.95 megabites in size. Try cropping the photos. Small parts of close-ups of the rock will help us determine if it is wood.

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I am not seeing petrified wood here. It looks like a piece of jasper.

There is some jasper/agate wood in the Holbrook area (petrified forest), but this does not look like that type of wood.

Tony

Bottom of Rock A-This is the part that screamed "wood" to me. But I seriously don't know anything about it, I'm just here to gain knowledge from the pros. If it's jasper I'd like to know what makes it form this way! ; ) thank you!

image.jpeg

The highly fractured rocks do not look like petrified wood. More detailed close-up photos might suggest otherwise. I have heard that petrified wood occurs in the Pliocene Bouse Formation along the Colorado River.

Jaspers have a high iron content and usually a bunch of other impurities in them. Some of the rock will be more susceptible to weathering. this can cause jasper to look like it is wood.

Oh! HAHAHAHA! XD Ty! I get overly excited about my rocks. I wish I had an expert to go explore with me. I just want to know what EVERYTHING is. Lolol.

Interesting. Might be fun to have that sliced and polished to see minimally the interesting structure/internal colors/banding. Have seen some of these end up being wood but jasper makes alot of sense. Regards, Chris 

On 11/28/2016 at 1:22 PM, nikkisixx said:

Oh! HAHAHAHA! XD Ty! I get overly excited about my rocks. I wish I had an expert to go explore with me. I just want to know what EVERYTHING is. Lolol.

Most of Us here get overly excited about rocks too!!!

You may try a local rock club. They have people that know rocks and many hold field trips to good collecting sites.

What part of CA are You in?

Tony

Archived