Something to be thankful for

mrieder79

The temperatures are finally dropping here in North Florida, signaling an end to this year's dive season.  Today was the final trip.  At the end of september my Dad and I found a new spot which gave up some nice megs the first day.  Problem was, when I went back with my buddy I just couldn't seem to get into the good material.  I was ready to give up on the spot but when we went out five days ago, he score two 5" megs during his second dive.  I barely found anything so I was pretty psyched out, sorta thought I was losing my touch.  

So I got myself mentally prepared for another potentially poor day, but I was hoping to end the season with another 5-incher (don't we all)

Well, the water was 63 degrees and the air was 72.  Not bad except that it was sort of cloudy and I forgot my wind breaker.  Even with a wetsuit, the wind will chill you.  

We did three tanks.  The first was great.  I scored half a dozen small megs in 30 minutes, but the second half of my dive was a big bust.  I ran over a shelf of barren limestone and couldn't find my way back to fossil material until I was down to 500 psi and had to come back up.  On the second tank, we decided to move upstream to start the second tank where we left off with the first.  It worked.  I hit the bottom in sweet, sweet gravel--the big chunks that usually hold nice teeth--and started working my way upcurrent.  It was slow going at first, ran across some limestone shelves and only scored a little beat up meg in the first 20 minutes.  I decided to skirt the edge of the hole, where the steep bank forms a natural barrier.  I started running across big rocks and bone fragments--always a good sign--and then I saw it.  There was just a faint triangular outline covered in silt, but it was unmistakable.  It was big and whole.  As I cleaned off the mud I prayed, "No peel, no peel, no peel, come on baby"

And boom!  

Sweet meg.  All the enamel intact.  

I'm usually all business when I'm down under--every wasted second is a second you could be searching for that six-incher--but I took a break to admire this one.  It's a rare and special thing to end the season with a biggun.  Incidentally, I also scored a nice 4-incher about 15 minutes later.  

Here's my top three teeth of the day.  

Fingertip is 4 1/8", Middle 5 1/8', wrist is about 3 1/2"

IMG_1002.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

Luck is the most important skill of a fossil diver.

Beauties!!! Congratulations on the season ending finds. 

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Awesome .... cant find words ... :wub::wub::wub::wub:

Many greetings from Germany ! Have a great time with many fossils :)

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

8 hours ago, caldigger said:

Five words: Thicker wetsuit and keep hunting.

Five words: Thicker wetsuit and keep hunting.

LOL!  I'm already diving a 7mm with a 1mm shortie underneath.  Took 57# to hold me to the bottom.  Any more and I'll have to wear concrete blocks on my feet to stay down.  

1 minute ago, jcbshark said:

Those are some real beauties! Congrats:fistbump:

Thanks.  It pretty much made my year.