Could this be a bison hoof???

cayosusa

Found in the Peace River.  Broadest part measures 3 1/2".  Found some other large pieces but also found a lot of LARGE (Big Boy) turtle pieces.  Will post in another post.

Thanks.  SO GLAD to be back in the river.  Cold but definitely doable in swimsuit - and I am a Floridian that walks around with a jacket at 70 degrees!

IMG_7074.JPG

20 minutes ago, cayosusa said:

Found in the Peace River.  Broadest part measures 3 1/2".  Found some other large pieces but also found a lot of LARGE (Big Boy) turtle pieces.  Will post in another post.

Thanks.  SO GLAD to be back in the river.  Cold but definitely doable in swimsuit - and I am a Floridian that walks around with a jacket at 70 degrees!

IMG_7074.JPG

I am not an expert but i agree it could be a bovid or maybe a hippus hoof.

With a cooled Floridian.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

You might like this link : http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Definitely not bison or any other type of bovid. The hoof is symmetrical so it can't be an eventoed ungulate. that of a bison would look like half of this as those animals have 2 toes.

As the Al Dente said, it looks like horse.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Agree with Mr. Dente.  It looks to be more equine than bovine.  The horse has a one piece core were as the bovine will have a clefed foot (two piece).

Oops! Olaf and I posted at the same time, so you got roughly the same answers.

large_319_3.jpgHorse

IMG_6018.jpgBovine

Agree with the above identifications that this is a hoof core from an odd-toed ungulate (Perissodactyla) rather than from an even-toed ungulate (Artiodactyla). The former containing horses, rhinos and tapirs and the latter containing camels, peccaries and deer (among many other species).

I don't think I've ever seen a complete horse hoof core come out of the Peace. Having said that, @Harry Pristis will now probably post a gallery of cores from his fantastic collection. :D

A find like that would top a Peace River meg tooth any day and would be a top-notch trip-maker find if it came up in my sifting screen. I've got a small window of time before I start a possibly busy travel season over the next several months (in peak Florida fossil hunting season), I need to make plans to get back out and go stand in a river again.

Cheers.

-Ken

It is an ungual bone of a horse.

Phalanges.jpgText_Phalanges.jpg

excerpt from Atlas of Animal Bones. For Prehistorians, Archaeologists and Quaternary Geologists - Elisabeth Schmid; Elsevier, New York, 1972.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Archived