Australian Pliocene Pallimnarchus Prep (Work in progress)

Ash

Hey guys and gals! Went out on Sunday to a new site and had a look around. Managed this!

I didnt bother plastering this as it was all in loose pieces.

There was a 4th piece under the sand and, just above the right hand side of the digging thing you can see another bit of bone - i don't know if its related but i need to go back and get it.

So here is the bit at the top in the above picture.

And having cleaned it up i realized i needed to leave matrix in the tooth sockets to support the weak bits that hang out. Lesson learnt and i'll do that on the next section.

You can see where i ended up leaving some matrix. Also the jar is paraloid. This bone is weak and chalky!

Fortunately, as i get closer to the front there is more bone and it's more intact.

Here is the next piece along, viewed from the top and showing the sockets. (i'll clean them out a bit to show the shape better)

And here is how the 4 pieces go. The front 2 and the back 2 will join well, to each other, but the middle may not. Hoping they will but doubting at the moment.. Too much matrix to tell right now.. Its sort of a sandstone. Bit sticky and annoying. Getting there though.

Thats all for now. I'll do more on the 2nd piece tonight and hoping to have it finished by Sunday.

Cheers.

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

I got a sneak peek of the near-finished result :P Nice jaw! Croc material from Aus is not common...

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19

So i did the 2nd piece, glued it on and started on the third. Im leaving matrix in it to support/strengthen as its pretty fragile. Wishing i didnt fully clean up the end piece.

Looking more jaw like. The next piece along doesnt have much to connect by. Will take extra care on that.

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

3rd piece in progress. As you can see a lot of it is missing where it needs to join onto piece 2. Hopefully the epoxy is sturdy. I'll put a lot of paraloid in that area after also. Ignore the foot, i ran out of hands... Gotta finish cleaning it before glue still.

3rd piece is on. I put a little glob of epoxy in this gap that didnt quite join to hopefully strengthen it. Rosie was interested too :P Pic 3 is epoxy gap.

Epoxy:

And on:

Skye: This one is for you. Yours is the middle. Seems vastly different to me. :D

comparison

Final piece started! Looks like a glob but is now looking like a bone :P

I already cleaned off the end that joins to piece 3 before gluing piece 3 on so i could paraloid the ends of 3 and know the fit is good enough.

After some cleaning, its appearing:

Oh and Skye, since i know youre going to read this when you wake...I LOVE YOU :D

Really, Troy? :P Love you too, you Goof :blush:

Told you my jaw seemed different!

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."

Haha, worth it :D

Yeah, now we have this specimen to compare it's showing the differences clearer. We really need to get yours compared to more specimens - when we organise that museum time, I think photos will be good enough.

Nice job on a sweet piece. 

Would you be opposed to adding expoxy putty for strength in between the pieces and leaving it an obvious reconstruction by not color matching it? I know that's what i would do, but we're all different. 

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

I agree; photos should be good. Have you contacted Scott to see about maybe visiting before you come over?

Excited to see the end result :) As said, not a common find in the least :P

3 hours ago, fossilized6s said:

Nice job on a sweet piece. 

Would you be opposed to adding expoxy putty for strength in between the pieces and leaving it an obvious reconstruction by not color matching it? I know that's what i would do, but we're all different. 

I'm normally against adding anything of the sort, but would rather do that than have it break. What sort of putty is used?

i haven't, Skye. You think I should? Thanks for the encouragement by the way <3

I use a product named "Magic Sculpt", it's a two part epoxy that hardens like stone that can be sanded afterwards. Also smoothing this with a dab of water while soft is great. I would possibly try a reconstruction on something less valuable to practice. It also sets up fairly quick. 

Downsides to your application: this will not hold your fossil together initially. Your fossil will have to be glued or braced in such a way that you can add this epoxy without moving the pieces. But it can be applied as an adhesive in small portions, then left to harden. Then you can always apply more over the top as needed. 

Also this is hard stuff, so reversing this process could be very difficult. But it will stay sound structurally if done correctly. So if it looks good and holds your jaw together better it will not have to be removed in any way. 

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK

Heya fossilized6s,

It did attach via what was remaining and can support its own weight. It feels sturdy enough today that it'll hold for the long haul. It'll get a good coat of Paraloid once it's all together as well. Thanks though, I'll remember that one if it fails :)

Thanks, LT, it has been but I look foward to finishing it tonight.

4 hours ago, Ash said:

I'm normally against adding anything of the sort, but would rather do that than have it break. What sort of putty is used?

i haven't, Skye. You think I should? Thanks for the encouragement by the way <3

Yes, I think you should :) See about that gigantic croc claw, too!

Before it moves to your place next week? :)

He said it takes awhile to organise. I'll ask about next Thursday.

Yes :P Might be a good idea to print off another copy of the export to take with, just in case.

Apoxie Sculpt is another good material. I actually like it better than Magic Sculpt because it is a little softer when you first mix it, making it a little easier to push into the cracks. You can also get it in a handful of colors.

Thanks, Ptychodus04!

Done, guys and gal (Thats you, Skye, sweet heart :wub: )

31297186906_6b23fb3d5c_c.jpg

30510871704_aa9cb9f691_c.jpg

Very neat piece! Those teeth would have been huge!!!

~Charlie~

Archived