Fossil preparation beginner

Algeren

Hello everyone,

I recently took a trip to Aust in the UK and got myself some nice chunks of bone bed with various large bones and teeth embedded in the rock. I am wondering what tools are recommened for me to try and get some of these out?

I have never done this before but would like to give it a go as currently random chunks of rock on my shelf doesn't look the best haha plus it will be fun exposing ichthyosaur and pliosaur parts!

I do not have a huge budget so I can't be spending thousands of pounds but I am willing to spend a little on getting the right tools.

Any questions please ask.

Thanks in advance

Lance

How hard is the matrix? That will go a long way in determining what may be most satisfactory. Start with this trial. Dig/scrape/scratch at a scrap section with a metal implement (e. g. old screwdriver, nail file, dull knife). Can you pulverize the matrix with ease? If so, simple hand tools (e. g. dental picks, carbide needle in a pin vise) may be of service. If not, more complicated (and expensive) options may be needed. Good luck, have fun. 

• I found this Informative 1

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

3 hours ago, snolly50 said:

How hard is the matrix? That will go a long way in determining what may be most satisfactory. Start with this trial. Dig/scrape/scratch at a scrap section with a metal implement (e. g. old screwdriver, nail file, dull knife). Can you pulverize the matrix with ease? If so, simple hand tools (e. g. dental picks, carbide needle in a pin vise) may be of service. If not, more complicated (and expensive) options may be needed. Good luck, have fun. 

Well the matrix is soft in parts and i am able to scrape away with ease. But then there is a lot of harder matrix around a lot of the main fossils. I would say it is a limestone simialr to the blue lias stuff. Soft when hit with a hammer but too hard for hand tools.

what are my options do you think? And what do you mean by expensive? Haha

thanks for the response.

This kind of expensive. ;) 

You could try to see what an electric engraver can do, but it may be slow going. 

Search the Forum under the Fossil Preparation sub-forum for more info.
This question has been asked many, many, many times before. :)  

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

2 hours ago, Algeren said:

Well the matrix is soft in parts and i am able to scrape away with ease. But then there is a lot of harder matrix around a lot of the main fossils. I would say it is a limestone simialr to the blue lias stuff. Soft when hit with a hammer but too hard for hand tools.

what are my options do you think? And what do you mean by expensive? Haha

I went and dug a carbide needle into the back of a Blue Lias matrix plate. What I have is hand tool workable, but it would be slow going and stressful to the hand. For me, it would depend on the size of the fossil to be revealed. That is, a small tooth; well I could work with that unpowered. However, if you are faced with moving a fair amount of that material, an engraver, as Tim suggests, may be the most prudent next step. I have always recommended the ElectroStylus. It's pencil shape is much more ergonomic than most engravers. In my experience it is much less likely to wreck your hand or the fossil. A couple more important points - protect your eyes and protect your lungs, if your activity is throwing dust. Take frequent breaks to avoid hand problems from strain and repetitive movement. Good luck, have fun.   

• I found this Informative 1

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Also, give some thought about if you want to leave some of the matrix as a display pedestle. When you first get some tools, there is the urge to over-clean a fossil, when actually it might have been better to leave some matrix.

When a man has a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

• I found this Informative 2

12 hours ago, snolly50 said:

I went and dug a carbide needle into the back of a Blue Lias matrix plate. What I have is hand tool workable, but it would be slow going and stressful to the hand. For me, it would depend on the size of the fossil to be revealed. That is, a small tooth; well I could work with that unpowered. However, if you are faced with moving a fair amount of that material, an engraver, as Tim suggests, may be the most prudent next step. I have always recommended the ElectroStylus. It's pencil shape is much more ergonomic than most engravers. In my experience it is much less likely to wreck your hand or the fossil. A couple more important points - protect your eyes and protect your lungs, if your activity is throwing dust. Take frequent breaks to avoid hand problems from strain and repetitive movement. Good luck, have fun.   

Thank you for this tip! i have tried using some hand tools on it and, as you expressed, it works well for smaller things. Some of the chunks of bone I have embedded are quite hefty and so I think and electronic tool would work better. The electrostylus seems like a great option and it's cheap! Thanks for the H&S tips as well, would rather not get the black lung and be blinded for a few pieces of bone.

I hope they come out well! i have a large tooth which i have partially exposed at the moment (Ichthyosaur most likely), but will need more heavy duty stuff as it seem to be partly embedded in some hard rock.

2 hours ago, tmaier said:

Also, give some thought about if you want to leave some of the matrix as a display pedestle. When you first get some tools, there is the urge to over-clean a fossil, when actually it might have been better to leave some matrix.

When a man has a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

i was thinking about this. I am not sure as to what would yet look good kept in the matrix. Holding a free tooth always looks cool, but it would look nice on a rock pedestal so to speak.

Thank you for the advice it has been very helpful. if I remember I shall post some photos up so you can see the shoddy attempt at my first proper fossil prep!