a week long expedition to Wyoming

jpc

A month or so ago a French friend came over for a fossil hunting vacation.  With my new wife's blessing (and his wife's as well), we spent 8 nearly solid days of fossiling here in Wyoming before the snow flew.... literally.  I spent a good chunk of time since then preparing some of my finds and some time writing up our adventure.  It is very photo-heavy, so I had to break it down to three chapters.  The first is posted here and I hope the others will be posted in replies.  Enjoy. 

Outing w caterpillar Ch 1.pdf

• I found this Informative 10

Awesome report, JP! I hope to get my hands in that K Wyoming shale one day (especially the Frontier ;))...thanks for all the wonderful photos! 

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

JP, wow!  Thank you eventually getting this report up.  The Pierre Shale material is especially nice. 

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

13 minutes ago, Carl said:

An ant carrying a fossil! Best find of the trip! I dream of seeing that! (It's my avatar...)

I agree.. I have been kneeling on anthills for decades and have never seen an ant carrying a fossil, and he kneels on his first and Bingo!  

• I found this Informative 1

I really enjoyed this. I will have to try your format  linking to off site,. Much easier than trying to write a narrative, post corresponding photos, etc.

I like the Oligocene turtle.  It seems way back in the 1970's there were more of these. I wish I had found one but never did. 

However, really like the mammal material. People like dinos but I get a lot more excited over small mammal teeth.  I've collected mammal teeth and jaws in he Wildwood Formation near Worland,Wy.  I was with an older fellow who gave a good hint...explore the disturbed soils around the oil well sites.  Sure enough, we found a lot of mammal jaws by just going through the mounds.  In a weird way the same concept as ants bring up micro material.

i'm sure you're familiar with Memoir 2 of the Geo Survey of Wyoming on Eocene teeth. (its what I used to find sites).  However, lesser known for very latest Cretaceous mammal teeth is the following.  Its always good to have as many references as possible in identifying mammal teeth.  

IMG_5925.JPG

Looks like you two had a great trip!

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!

1 hour ago, Canadawest said:

I really enjoyed this. I will have to try your format  linking to off site,. Much easier than trying to write a narrative, post corresponding photos, etc.

I like the Oligocene turtle.  It seems way back in the 1970's there were more of these. I wish I had found one but never did. 

However, really like the mammal material. People like dinos but I get a lot more excited over small mammal teeth.  I've collected mammal teeth and jaws in he Wildwood Formation near Worland,Wy.  I was with an older fellow who gave a good hint...explore the disturbed soils around the oil well sites.  Sure enough, we found a lot of mammal jaws by just going through the mounds.  In a weird way the same concept as ants bring up micro material.

i'm sure you're familiar with Memoir 2 of the Geo Survey of Wyoming on Eocene teeth. (its what I used to find sites).  However, lesser known for very latest Cretaceous mammal teeth is the following.  Its always good to have as many references as possible in identifying mammal teeth.  

IMG_5925.JPG

I have a copy of WY Geo Survey No 2.  I just call it Bown 1979.  It is a pretty good start to IDing Eocene teeth.  For sites, though, it is all Bighorn Basin, which is 99% BLM, so I avoid it.  I use Clemens, Parts I, II and II for Cretaceous mammals.  Do you know Clemens' work?  I am impressed that you have Lillegraven's in print.  I have the pdf, which is a whole lot less fun.  Correction... your post inspired me and I just bought a copy on Amazon.   

18 hours ago, jpc said:

I have a copy of WY Geo Survey No 2.  I just call it Bown 1979.  It is a pretty good start to IDing Eocene teeth.  For sites, though, it is all Bighorn Basin, which is 99% BLM, so I avoid it.  I use Clemens, Parts I, II and II for Cretaceous mammals.  Do you know Clemens' work?  I am impressed that you have Lillegraven's in print.  I have the pdf, which is a whole lot less fun.  Correction... your post inspired me and I just bought a copy on Amazon.   

Thanks for the Clemens reference. I'll look into them.The Lillegraven research is based on an an area I know well and enjoy hiking in. It's the most productive area I've ever come across for Tyrannosaur teeth...however, the real gems are the mammal tooth deposits that i've never heard anyone else ever mention. 

Thanks for the great report, JP.It was really nice to be able to familiarize myself with your hunting grounds. You guys made some great finds and 'm sure that Domnique was more than satisfied with his adventure. Could it be that Vivianite is responsible for the blue color in those fossils?

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Hi,

Woh ! :faint: Very nice report of a wonderful trip in WY ! Dominique, you are a lucky man !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Ah ah, I think you are right !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

What a great trip you guys had! The White River is on my bucket list to collect in. I hope that @caterpillar will show us pictures of his multi skull block as it gets prepped.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/