Carcharodontosaurus Tooth opinions? First tooth in the collection

Mrnst7

Hey guys this is my first tooth purchased. I bought it from a fossil website because I thought that would be a safe bet with my lack of experience. I know I overpayed for the tooth, I payed $150 for the tooth. After receiving the tooth and actually holding it, the tooth appears to seem completely reconstructed. I just wanted to know some opinions, some spots almost appear completely covered with glue. 

IMG_2240.JPG

IMG_2242.JPG

IMG_2243.JPG

Looks legit to me. Repaired with minimal reconstruction (if any) done to it. 

The glue is a sand/glue mix Moroccans tend to use to fill and consolidate there common fossils. This can be removed with acetone and a q-tip. And then you can consolidate it properly. 

• I found this Informative 3

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Thank you for your opinion. I just got very skeptical after seeing all the clumps of glue. Also have a look of sand fall out from the inside which I knew is a common way to add filler too the tooth. I would like to remove some of the glue and sand but I think I will do more research and wait so I don't end up making pieces fall off.

Agreed looks legit. Your tooth looks like it was found in two pieces and was glued back together so that's why you see glue on there. The enamel looks good and the two pieces align with one another. I don't think you have any room for concern since this isn't a super big carch tooth and gluing broken fossils back together is a common practice.

The sand falling out could be filler however it could not be cleaned all the way.

Hope this helps,

Matt

Yup real. It looks like it was once broken in half and then glued back together. Which is probably why it has some glue and stuff on the side.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

12 hours ago, zekky said:

Looks real to me. Not the greatest prep, but that's the norm for Morocco.

Haha!:P That's true.

Moroccan fossils are either real and badly prepped, or fake and "amazingly prepped".

The tooth indeed looks real. A bit overpaid, as you said, but not dramatically. Cool purchase though!

Best regards,

Max

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Don't worry, it's real.

The coating is quite important actually, so long as it doesn't interfere with the look. I've dropped my Moroccan teeth on the floor before. The coated ones survived, the "original" ones didn't :( 

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Okay well if that's the case I will probably leave it alone for now. At least until I take some more time to research the proper way too remove it. There is only really one spot that looks like a little kid got a hold of a hot glue gun and dropped a glob and left it there to dry. Other than that I will leave it as is.

Thank you everyone for the advice, from now on I will ask for more pictures before purchasing them. It had a little more repair then expected initially. Other than that I am excited about future purchases!