Fossil Fish ID

tb2014

Your fish looks similar to a Parasemionotus labordei (type of extinct lung fish). That's one of the better preserved specimens I've seen from a Madagascarian nodule. 

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

A Parasemionotidae, but not Parasemionotus labordei (by the way, Parasemionotus is not related to lung fish). This fish seems to be Icarealcyon malagasium Beltan, 1984.

Icarealcyon.jpg

If you are interested in the paper from Beltan (in French), send me a PM with your email address.

• I found this Informative 5

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

Thank you, Sir. I was hoping you would chime in. 

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

You are welcome. This is a rare fish from Madagascar - this thread might be interesting for you:

• I found this Informative 2

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

:) For a better convenience I prepared the document : L. Beltan. 1984. A propos d'un poisson volant biplan d l'Eotrias du NW de Madagascar: Icarealcyon malagasium Beltan. Annales de la Société Géologique du Nord 103:75-82

583da67a5cae1_fossilfish.jpg.3127e626c2e0b676def58a54f0e67b09.jpgIcarealcyon malagasium Beltan.jpg

Pl. III  - Icarealcyon malagasium  Beltan

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library