Clam, miocene, fossil

eccodave1

Retired a few years ago and volunteer and study in environment issues I have come across a tidal dependent fossil beach several 100' long. Huge blocks of shell laden stone with much diversity. So with your help I begin a new research area and will learn about fossils.

I thought this huge clam was interesting and would like to start with age. Pleistocene, Miocene are the epic common here on the coastal area of the eastern shore of Maryland. Many may know of the Calvert Cliff area of Maryland. These fossils were found at the same latitude but 30 miles away on the opposite side of the Chesapeake Bay.

Any info would be great and maybe just put the bug in my butt to really dig in.

thanks

DSC07017.JPG

Thank you for your reply!

You recommending and "Internal Mold" of a type of "Tree Oyster"  I will run off the Wikipedia and research tree oyster. If you could clarify internal mold.  My take would be that the shell is gone and the rock I have was the insides and has become solid---am I close...lol  like I said I am a rookie @67yo.

12 minutes ago, eccodave1 said:

Thank you for your reply!

You recommending and "Internal Mold" of a type of "Tree Oyster"  I will run off the Wikipedia and research tree oyster. If you could clarify internal mold.  My take would be that the shell is gone and the rock I have was the insides and has become solid---am I close...lol  like I said I am a rookie @67yo.

You nailed it on the first try. :)

fig7.jpg

Figure 7 = internal mold.

Figure 8 = cast.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thank You Tim    off to research tree oyster!

John Burroughs (1837-1921) a contemporary of John Muir (1851-1914) “The Gospel of Nature”  (Time and Change) Nature-Love has a distinctly religious value. It does not come to one who is wholly absorbed in selfish or worldly material ends. Except ye become in a measure as little children, ye cannot enter the kingdom of Nature---as Audubon entered it, as Thoreau entered it, as Bryant entered it; and as all those enter it who make it a resource in their lives and an instrument of their culture---the wonder and reverence and love we feel in the presence of the inscrutable universe.

• I found this Informative 3