Anyone do Baisch in Montana?

smt126

I'm looking at planning a trip to Montana this summer with my daughter who will be turning 7 that week. I've been looking at the Baisch ranch(aka daily dinosaur digs) in Montana as it seems the most flexible schedule wise. We planned on trying to go for a week to hunt Glendive in general, but would really love to spend a few days hunting vertebrates. We obviously plan to do this legally so this leaves us only a few options with that one seeming the best. I'm wondering what kind of experiences you've had if you've gone there. What is the quality of fossils you were able to acquire? I know it says on their page about keeping most fossils. Was there anything you weren't able to keep? Any recommendations on items to bring outside of what's on the page? We've never been vertebrate hunting before so this would be completely new to us. Thanks in advance.

About to book a day here as well. I was curious about the difference in finds between Baisch and PaleoAdventures, as the former is cheaper and lets you keep most of the fossils, and the latter is more expensive and very limited ($50 worth) in what you can take home. So we're planning on doing both. :) I can post a comparison at the end of July....

I'm heading there in June or that is the plan. We are going to try for 3 or 4 days. We are going to spend 2 days exploring invertebrates on our own too.

I cant comment on either company for fossils..

However, if Baisch is based out of Glendive, that's a plus.  The Pierre  Shale sites are literally on the edge of town and offer unlimited exploration.  In a day I come away with a hundred decent specimens of  cephalopods ...including Ammonites,  Baculites and Nautiloids and there's Lots of big  bivalves and gastropods. 

Just be aware it can get  HOT...dangerously hot in the badlands.  The clays are like an oven.  I personally would not plan a trip in the Cretaceous badlands past mid May unless I had alternate plans I could switch to.  Well over a 100F on the clay and no shade. As a fall back plan , Glendive has the Park, is on the Yellowstone River, etc.

The then the reverse...rain.  No fun sitting in a mudbath in clays. However,  the Pierre Shale is largely rock and, within reason, rain wouldn't be issue.  In fact drizzle would be welcome instead of heat.

• I found this Informative 1

They said there are no marine formations on their property. I plan on looking for the marine stuff on the 2 days they are doing branding.