Lower Jurassic damselfly Protomyrmeleon brunonis from Charmouth

First record of the Lower Jurassic damselfly Protomyrmeleon brunonis Geinitz, 1887 from Charmouth, UK donated to "Staatliches Museum für Naturkunde Stuttgart".

Three wings super-imposed, without body. So far only known from Dobbertin in Mecklenburg, Germany.

F. E. Geinitz (1887): Beitrag zur Geologie Mecklenburgs. Archiv des Vereins der Freunde der Naturgeschichte in Mecklenburg 41:143-216

Protomyrmeleon.jpg

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

Outstanding!  Is this a personal find, Thomas?  Looks like a great candidate for the Partner Gallery:)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I found these dragonfly wings in the 80ties on my way back home from a conference in Edinburgh (just a slight detour of 200 miles..).  It was already too late and there was only half an hour left till sunset. This was on the first slab I looked at.
Thomas

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

7 minutes ago, oilshale said:

I found these dragonfly wings in the 80ties on my way back home from a conference in Edinburgh (just a slight detour of 200 miles..).  It was already too late and there was only half an hour left till sunset. This was on the first slab I looked at.
Thomas

As most of us know, half of fossil hunting is pure luck. Haha! 

Great find! 

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Wow, that's nice!
 " It was already too late and there was only half an hour left till sunset. " - that's the right timing... :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

6 hours ago, oilshale said:

Thomas

I find the angle of light can make a huge difference finding specimens in northern latitudes. Sometimes a negative but often a plus.

On ‎02‎.‎12‎.‎2016 at 0:50 AM, Canadawest said:

I find the angle of light can make a huge difference finding specimens in northern latitudes. Sometimes a negative but often a plus.

Definitely! Can make a huge difference and as you said, can be either negative or positive.

Archived