aek

A mini fossil museum exists within the lobby of the Park Hyatt in Chicago, just off Michigan Avenue. I'm guessing not too many people know about it unless they're guests at the hotel. It's a wonderful display of very large Moroccan trilobites, ammonites and various other fossils from around the world. It is free, of course, because it's in the lobby and a nice diversion if you're ever in the area. Another added bonus is it's open 24 hours.

IMAG8021.jpg

IMAG8022.jpg

IMAG8023.jpg

IMAG8226.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Interesting. Neat  to see some natural history in an urban commercial building.

There's often unexpected fossil displays.

Ive learned to stop at county museums in 'small town' Montana, etc.   There's usually  fossils and native  artifacts from the surrounding area.  Also, there's often an older volunteer looking after things and they are keen to share their knowledge.

Another place to find displays is in small libraries. An old couple I used to prospect with set up a rock and fossil display in the library in Boulder City, Nevada. The specimens were  top notch.

• 11 months later...

Pretty cool!  I had no idea, and I've lived within fifty miles of Chicago all my life. Lol. Did they have any Mazon Creek fossils on display?

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.