Woopaul5

Looking for people to hunt with near Charleston or Summerville

Woopaul5

Seeing if anyone in the Charleston Summerville area willing to go out and look for fossils. Pretty much free any afternoon and all weekend. I don't have any where particular in mind. The last few places I've scouted have been busts. Please PM me if there is anywhere you'd like to join. Willing to drive you also but I drive a car so accessibility to many places may be an issue. 

- Paul

Woopaul5

Struck out again on Friday but I'll be back out in a few hours today. Gonna look around in Ladson again.

Woopaul5

Finally found something today. Payed really close attention to google maps and stumbled on a popular spot amongst the locals here but it produced. Minimally but I got 4 teeth. Unfortunately I dropped 2 but happy none the less.

Still hoping to meet up with a few people. Only got a week left here and looks like majority of the ditches are flooded from the rain but I'm willing to go out. 

- Paul

IMG_9504.JPG

PFOOLEY

Congrats on your finds. :)  Now that you've started the ball rolling, enjoy that last week exploring! Good luck.

Woopaul5

Thank you!

I tried Edisto beach on weds. Had 0 luck there but then again I wasn't feeling wel so I didn't stay long. Found out I got a few stalker dolphins though. Everytime I've been to a beach here I've always been followed on the shore by 2 dolphins.

Thurs was a lot better. The 7" meg tooth eluded me again but got a handful of random stuff from the creeks here. Been running across a few locals and if you're lurking thanks for the advice! I'll be out again tomorrow. 

IMG_9524.JPG

Woopaul5

Got one day left but I think I'm just gonna relax. Sifting and crawling through creeks is tiring. South Carolina, it's been fun!!!

IMG_9561.JPG

reddesilets

So glad you got out and had some great finds! My apologies for not being online much. Finals week at CofC was pretty brutal. What great haul you got! :) I see part of a crusher plate, shark vertebra, lemon shark teeth, lots of tiger, sand tiger, hemi I believe I see in there, looks like you got some megs, maybe makos if no serrations, and more! :)

Woopaul5

Thanks! No prob, I understand family/work/school take priority. Yea I got a decent haul. There's serrations on the ones you think are makos so I believe they are white sharks... no cusps also. Def fun times. I also stoped off at the aurora fossil museum on the way back and added another 110 teeth to the collection. If you haven't been yet I recommend!!! Fun times and stick to the center of the Lee creek spoil pit for bigger finds

reddesilets

Nice! I haven't been to Aurora at all yet but hope to make it there sometime soon. I'll be taking classes more than likely over the summer so IDK when I'll be able to go. Summer of 2018 will likely see me doing my field studies, possibly in India! Woot! Maybe I can make it with the kids and hubby over a break next year. Travel isn't very easy for us. We hope to go the mountains before all the snow is gone this winter but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

gavialboy

congrats on the neat finds

Salty

Nice stuff! Not to shabby for just messing around in a ditch or two! Glad you found some neat fossils and teeth. I haven't been to Aurora yet either. It's on my list of places, that endless list!

Jonester

I'm in Myrtle Beach and would be interested in hunting in Summerville, Charleston area.  Edisto. If anyone has a group going?

MPCamMan

I am interested in joining a group.  The only location I go to is Folly Beach.  Would love to find river beds and find some crazy places to find some fossils and especially shark teeth.  Let me know if there is a group that goes out, because I definitely want in.  Thanks all.

TheMick

From Mt Pleasant here, anybody interested in a hunt?  My son is super into fossils, so I"m looking to take him out hunting for some.

hemi123

Reddsilets...........would love to meet with you one day and just pick at your brain....figuratively of course. I want to learn more about the sediment layers and am finding the older I get the more I want to learn. I am going out every single Saturday or am willing if you have free time during the week to meet you at work, etc...

reddesilets
6 minutes ago, hemi123 said:

Reddsilets...........would love to meet with you one day and just pick at your brain....figuratively of course. I want to learn more about the sediment layers and am finding the older I get the more I want to learn. I am going out every single Saturday or am willing if you have free time during the week to meet you at work, etc...

Hey, hemi23!  As of lately I've been super busy and have had very little down time. I haven't even been on a fossil hunt at all this summer. :trilosurprise:

I'm downtown a lot right now, I have a class at the College of Charleston every day. So I'd be happy to meet with you after class. If you haven't been to the Mace Brown Museum of Natural History at the College of Charleston's geology department yet, it's a great museum and they have a couple of new displays. :)  I work independently on a couple of research projects with the geology department as well. Class ends next Thursday and the fall semester starts August 22 (the day after the eclipse). Not sure how my schedule will be in between semesters but if you can't meet me downtown during the week this week or next (except this Thursday because I will actually be in Edisto for one of those projects) then maybe we can meet to talk about stuff some other time?

Also, please consider meeting up with us at the next Palmetto Paleontological Society meetings. We meet every third Sunday of the month. :) The 'official' website page for now is a group page on Facebook.

reddesilets

Oh btw the Museum is open 11am - 4pm every day except Wednesday... ;)

hemi123

Reddsilets....thanks for the response. I am downtown quite a lot work wise and think I will go visit the museum first, then possibly if I know where your office is I can drop you a note or would love to meet up sometime this week if possible. I am free after 12 tomorrow downtown. Just let me know what is best for you and I will accommodate. I will try my hardest to attend the meeting in Sept. Seems interesting.

reddesilets
4 minutes ago, hemi123 said:

Reddsilets....thanks for the response. I am downtown quite a lot work wise and think I will go visit the museum first, then possibly if I know where your office is I can drop you a note or would love to meet up sometime this week if possible. I am free after 12 tomorrow downtown. Just let me know what is best for you and I will accommodate. I will try my hardest to attend the meeting in Sept. Seems interesting.

I'm a student and don't have an office. I get out of class at 11:45am so noon is great, but remember since tomorrow is Wednesday the museum won't be open. You can see it Thursday (I won't be there) or Friday (I can be there if you prefer then). 

As for the group meeting there will be one in August too (unless something was recently posted that I missed about not having one next month).

hemi123

Friday is fine with me, I can meet you at the museum if it is not too much trouble. Let me know what time is best for you. 

reddesilets
1 minute ago, hemi123 said:

Friday is fine with me, I can meet you at the museum if it is not too much trouble. Let me know what time is best for you. 

Friday at the museum it is then! :) Noonish still good? I get out of class at 11:45 and can meet you after that.

hemi123

Noon it is then !! Not sure how I will recognize you since I have never been there but if you wait somewhere I can find I will meet you there. My name is Tom,,,,btw.

reddesilets
3 hours ago, hemi123 said:

Noon it is then !! Not sure how I will recognize you since I have never been there but if you wait somewhere I can find I will meet you there. My name is Tom,,,,btw.

Just come to the School of Sciences and Mathematics Building. That is where the Mace Brown Museum of Natural History is. It's in the brick building on the corner of Calhoun and Coming. Address is 202 Calhoun. Go to the 2nd floor and there will be a bunch of tables and chairs out front of the museum. I'll be in that area waiting for you. I will likely have on my beige CofC hat, short brown ponytail sticking out the back of it, t-shirt, shorts, I wear glasses, short, chubby... :P  Grey and bright green backpack.

hemi123

Sounds perfect...I know I wont miss ya with the hat......see ya Friday:raindance:

hemi123

Just curious, is there a way to make a map of exposed areas in Tri county area where the Chandler Bridge is exposed in creeks?