Dimetrodon skeleton

dinodigger

Hey gang here is a glimpse of.one of the skeletons. Great articulation. back at it this morning.

20161127_114739.jpg

• I found this Informative 8

:wub:

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Just awesome!

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Meh its okay I guess...

Probably shouldn't waste space in your museum for it.

Just send it over here and I will do my best to make him comfortable!

All jokes aside an amazing find!

That is quite well preserved from the looks of it!

You are 'permian-atly' rewriting what we know about dimetrodons....   :faint:

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Brilliant. You are very fortunate to be able to work on such incredible fossils!

Thanks for sharing:)

-Lyall

9 minutes ago, abctriplets said:

So.....as someone new to the hobby, what do you do with it now? Do you keep it partially attached to the matrix?

Hey! so we will prep the skeleton here in our museum lab and assemble it for display after making casts of each individual bone. in the middle of all that will be our research for publishing.

Thanks! I wondered since it seemed more important to keep the individual's bones together. Would you be using the casts to assemble, or the actual fossils?

2 minutes ago, abctriplets said:

Thanks! I wondered since it seemed more important to keep the individual's bones together. Would you be using the casts to assemble, or the actual fossils?

We will do both actually 

I forget the history of this site...it looks rather shaley. Is there any general idea of how these critters met there demise? 

Regards, Chris 

4 hours ago, Plantguy said:

I forget the history of this site...it looks rather shaley. Is there any general idea of how these critters met there demise? 

Regards, Chris 

Hey Plantguy- The Arroyo Formation of the lower Permian is a wonderful place for the last breath of Dimetrodons who have reached the apex of their size. Look up Olsons Extinction Event; we're about to see it arrive very shortly at our site. The rich red beds are a blocky oxidized mudstone- but we also see lovely stream channel deposits of sandstones and conglomerates. Our site is remnants of an oxbow lake with fine grain silt, preserving the animals in incredible fashion. The mass burials of Dimetrodons accompanied by numerous amphibians and other reptiles offers a glimpse of a very healthy ecosystem represented by season after season after season of rains and droughts. We see a pretty healthy life and death scenario accentuated by bizarre mass die-offs which is the heart of our research. 

• I found this Informative 8

9 hours ago, dinodigger said:

We see a pretty healthy life and death scenario accentuated by bizarre mass die-offs which is the heart of our research. 

Looking forward to reading your conclusions. :) In the meantime, keep the fossil pics coming! :popcorn:

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/