cherturc

Size is always helpful in an ID.  A region (SE TX, Central TX, etc.), or county, could also be useful.  ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Here is a good way to start your search for the age. On this site just click on the name for the sheet or the area on the Texas map to go to a very detailed geological map. You can focus in or out on the map and find the symbol of the formation you found it in. Then look on the right hand side for the name of the formation. Most of them will have information on Wikipedia that includes the age. This helps someone who collects in that formation narrow down the possibilities for a good ID.

http://www.twdb.texas.gov/groundwater/aquifer/GAT/

I had to chuckle a bit because most people submit a photo that is 90% of their hand or couch, and only 10% is the fossil. Yours is all fossil, and clipped a bit. That is very unique.

From the shape and the axial striations on the shell, and lack of radial ribs, It looks like something of the genus Laternula, accroding to "A Field Guide to Fossils of Texas" (Finsley). That would be upper Cretaceous (about 80 million years ago).

That a guess, not a confirmation.

Wow! Thank you all very much! I found the fossil in Fayette County, Tx. I will go study the map. I didn't think about showing the size. Maybe this pic will help. I've really learned a lot today thanks to everyone.

IMG_8006.JPG

Looks like Homomya. But I only know that one from the Cretaceous. Fayette County is all younger than that. Was this in stream gravel or coming from the bedrock?

3 hours ago, erose said:

Looks like Homomya. But I only know that one from the Cretaceous. Fayette County is all younger than that. Was this in stream gravel or coming from the bedrock?

It was in stream gravel with lots of shell imprint fossils. The walls on the side of the stream are about 10-12 feet high. 

Archived