I have found sea fossils in the carb for the first time today.:)

nala

I find the time to make a hunt today and was rewarded by a real unexpected find,a big grey rock with a strange round shape,i split it to see further(the rock is very hard)an when it open i saw a orthoceras! i split more and find two others ,and brachiopods various tracks,other shells,i never found sea fossils in the carboniferous before only very little shells one time(in more than 20 hunts!)! :) a real surprise for me :)

IMG_1271.JPG

IMG_1272.JPG

IMG_1274.JPG

IMG_1275.JPG

IMG_1276.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

Congratulations! Cephalopods are extremely rare from the Francis Creek shale (Mazon Creek). 

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Love it!  Good size, too!

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

So you have some marine intervals in your local carboniferous? Very cool Gery! Keep splitting and see what else you find, maybe a shark tooth?

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Great hammer work, Gery.  :D  :hammer01:

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Really nice ! 023.gif

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Hi Gery

These samples are not from carboniferous levels !

In 1920 ,  when the coal mines dug new wells in the southern boundary of the concession (Liévin / Vimy region), they encountered lands dating from the Siluro-Devonian over the Carboniferous due to the presence of a reversed series . Due to the great fault "du midi " passing in this sector. Numerous brachiopods, orthoceras, rare trilobites were discovered, and I searched in those dumps which were still visible in the 1990s. The samples are now in Lille Museum collections .

Look this book :

Description de la faune Siluro-Dévonienne de Liévin / par Mm. J. Gosselet, Ch. Barrois, M. Leriche, A. Crépin. Lille : Liegeois-Six, 1912-1920.

en 1920 , lorsque les charbonnages creusèrent de nouveaux puits dans la limite sud de la concéssion ( région de Liévin/ Vimy ) ,ils rencontrèrent des terrains datant du siluro-dévoniens au dessus du carbonifère en raison de la présence d 'une série renversée , due à la "grande faille du midi" qui passe dans ce secteur . De nombreux brachiopodes (spirifers , orthidées ) , des orthocères , de rares trilobites ( Griphaeus ) furent découverts , j'ai fouillé dans ces haldes qui étaient encore visibles dans les années 1990 . Ces pièces sont maintenant au Muséum de Lille ( Nord ) .

Bonne chance pour la suite ...

Bruno

img004.jpg

• I found this Informative 6

Hello Thanks a lot Bruno for these explanations! i was really lucky to find one rock of this historical dug!i didn't see that before!Perhaps you could help me also to ID this fern and bark from the same site?found the same day,regards Gery

IMG_1265.JPG

IMG_1266.JPG

IMG_1283.JPG

IMG_1290.JPG

IMG_1295.JPG

That pink color is just amazing! Does it stay like that after it dries out? Congratulations also on the rare marine fauna, even though it comes from elsewhere.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Today I broke a little more the stone from the Silurian Devonian Stone i have found few days ago,with several Orthoceras in it and find this,could it be a aptychus or only a shell? What could be be ID for these?

IMG_0820.JPG

IMG_0822.JPG

IMG_0834.JPG

IMG_0840.JPG

IMG_0848.JPG

IMG_0854.JPG

11 hours ago, nala said:

Today I broke a little more the stone from the Silurian Devonian Stone i have found few days ago,with several Orthoceras in it and find this,could it be a aptychus or only a shell? What could be be ID for these?

IMG_0820.JPG

IMG_0822.JPG

IMG_0834.JPG

IMG_0840.JPG

IMG_0848.JPG

IMG_0854.JPG

Hi Gery

You must try to find this bibliography .

They are all Brachiopoda except picture 4 who is a Bivalvia ( mollusqua ) Actinopteria tricultata Fuchs , 1919.

pictures 1/2/3 Orbiculoidea rugata Sow.  

picture 5 Orthoceras sp.

picture 6 Orthis ( Damanella) canaliculata Lindstr.   

Look these plates in "Faune Silro-Dévonienne de Liévin . 1920 "  ,  and P. Racheboeuf 's  book .

Best regards

Bruno

Racheboeuf.jpgRacheboeuf pl 22.jpgSGN plate XI.jpgSGN plate XI - Copie.jpg   

• I found this Informative 1