Gluing larger pieces of rock - Dino Rib Hastings UK

Gideon

Hello

Looking for a bit of advice on how to glue/stick together larger pieces of rock.

I came across what I believe to be a water weathered Dino rib (?). It was already fractured into sections in a rock pool:

Rib 1.JPG  

Now extracted it is cleaned and dried ready to be put back together, and looks like this:

Rib 2.JPG 

Given that it is quite a long (40-50cm), heavy fossil, and relatively fragile, I need to figure out how to put it back together securely.

Would it be a good idea to stabilize it first soaking with paraloid on each bit before gluing together?

When it comes to the glue, I reckon gorilla glue is pretty sturdy? or is super glue a better idea?

Then I could fill in the cracks with modelling clay?

Then to support the whole thing, should I be sticking it in a box of sand, or something more permanent?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm out of my depth more than ever with this one. So any criticisms or suggestions for any stage of my plan would be most welcome.

Thanks
Henry

I use a combination of epoxies, super glue and paraloid.

Clean every piece, consolidating with paraloid as you go (unsure about "soaking" it, but i brush a dilute solution on and let it soak and dry, and repeat as necessary.)

Make sure you clean the ends of each piece and check the joins before paraloiding the ends (to make it easier to fit them, if you paraloid on the matrix it can be a pain to remove and get the joins good).

I use superglue (the cheap 10 pack for $2 sorta tubes) to glue small pieces on. After it sets they get paraloid to hold it better.

We have Selleys "Areldite" epoxies here. I just use 5 minute epoxy (and so does a friend who does prep for the Queensland Museum), but i was told it doesnt last (which is weird because its what a museum uses?). If you have a way for the bone to be held together whilst 24 hour epoxy sets, thats good, but if you have to hold the pieces whilst it sets i strongly recommend 5 minute epoxy.

After its all set together i give it more paraloid, again to strengthen the bonds etc.

Filling in cracks etc is a personal preference. I don't like it myself, leaving it in its natural glory :) But to each their own.

Good luck!

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

Hi Ash

Thanks so much for the detailed advice. That all sounds very sensible.

Assuming I get it all stuck back together, it doesn't have much of the underlying matrix to keep it strong. considering its a long thin brittle specimen. Do you reckon something like a heavy plaster of paris could be used as a base to hold it?

No worries.

I don't know an answer to that second question. Hopefully someone comes along who does. Good luck!

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

I would use only the Paraloid and then make a supporting mount with Plastazote foam. The old way of setting bones in plaster mounts is a bit drastic for me and it means the bones can't be examined properly.

You may want to use a 2 part putty for the cracks.  You can also easily carve it or sand it.  and you can color it too with mortor powder. 

RB

IMG_0401.JPG

Taogan - Thanks for the tip Re plastazote foam. It's not something I was familiar with, but definitely looks worth considering.

RB - That's impressive work with the putty. I have got some tucked away somewhere.

I'll get some pictures up on here once I'm finished, depending on how bad it turns out! 

Archived