Are these rocks? Coal? Poop?

Jonelle

So I found a few interesting things today all within a short distance of each other... my question is about the two larger "rocks" they don't seem to be rocks but I am not sure what else they would be? They are very soft..the one maybe looks like coal? Also wondering what type of coral I have! And what the white/brown "rock" is? And another couple of things maybe some can ID ?? Thanks :) 

IMG_8699.JPGSpecimen 1

IMG_8700.JPG

Specimen 2

When You hold an object in Your hand and take a picture You have 2 moving objects. This increases the movement of the object and causes a blurred picture.

It is much better to set the object on a solid surface to take the picture. It will also help to have the camera on a stable stand (tripod). This will help You to get clearer pictures which makes it more likely that Others will be able to give You a more accurate identification.

Tony

1- concretion or rusted iron

2- ?

3- coral

4- ? shrimp tail ?

5- cross section of sedimentary bedding

6- ?

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I am guilty of using my phone again @ynot the first two things really just look like blobs, I can pull out the macro lens and see if I can get some more detail..they are super soft if that helps, I don't think it can be iron.. I found a few other things I posted in the artifact section and I'm thinking #6 might be a fossil? I'm really not sure though..thanks! 

1 minute ago, Jonelle said:

I am guilty of using my phone again @ynot the first two things really just look like blobs, I can pull out the macro lens and see if I can get some more detail..they are super soft if that helps, I don't think it can be iron.. I found a few other things I posted in the artifact section and I'm thinking #6 might be a fossil? I'm really not sure though..thanks! 

The above advice will apply to using the phone camera also.

1 & 2 look like clay balls, They will form in beach environments and have particles and bits from the beach "sand" included in them.

No idea on 4.

6 Looks like twig impressions.

Tony

PS Much better pictures-- Thanks.

• I found this Informative 2

Hey Jonelle, Looks like you've got more interesting stuff...

I've seen the darker brown chunks/rocks...they do seem to be very sandy and not very consolidated--not sure of their origin. 1&4 look more like the ones that have that calcitic cementing. The last couple of things looks like some of the weathered limestone pieces and possible consolidated sands from around here...they usually have all kinds of traces and odd weathering patterns within them that are very difficult to fully discern/ID. The 3rd item you called coral may well be that as there are lots of different types...from the photo I cant tell if it might also be one of those big oysters and you are seeing a section thru the shell. Here are a couple photos showing their respective internal structures. Coral on the left and Oyster on the right in both photos. 

Coral vs Oyster internal layering wide view.jpgCoral vs Oyster internal layering.jpg

Regards, Chris 

• I found this Informative 2