Old Finds...

abctriplets

Now that my kids are getting into fossils, they've asked me about two of my old finds that have been on the shelf for years.

I picked these up on the shoreline of Eastern Virginia, during a college geology lab/field trip. I recall there being a big vertebra eroding from the cliffside, but never got around to revisiting the site. Anyway, it's a tooth and a digit. I think I recall my professor saying the latter was from a dolphin?

Just wondered if these would be something that could be identified with any precision, and if so, if there's a need for any better angles/shots/details.

Thanks in advance!

IMG_3996.JPGIMG_3997.JPG

The tooth looks like a Cosmopolitodus (Isurus) hastalis - broad tooth mako.

Bone is badly worn and may not be identifiable. Wait for other replies.

Tony

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

The bone is worn but I agree it does have that phalanx look to it. If we knew the formation it came from we might have an idea of what types of fossils are commonly found there which might direct the search further. I agree with Tony that your shark tooth is definitely a mako (and nice color too).

Cheers.

-Ken

On 12/4/2016 at 11:14 AM, digit said:

The bone is worn but I agree it does have that phalanx look to it. If we knew the formation it came from we might have an idea of what types of fossils are commonly found there which might direct the search further.

Hm. After a quick google search, it might have eroded out of the Yorktown Formation (near to Jamestown, VA). Not sure if that helps, but I appreciate the look.