A trilobite at Etobicoke Creek...finally!!! (and a couple of other things)

Monica

Hello everyone!

I haven't contributed to TFF in a while because I've been pretty busy with work, but I think I have some good news to share:  I've finally found a trilobite at Etobicoke Creek!!!  I'm assuming that it's an Isotelus sp. - am I correct?  Here's a picture of the somewhat big guy:

Etobicoke Creek Fossil 13.JPG

I also found a couple of other things - perhaps a bryozoan?  See pictures below:

"Front": Etobicoke Creek Fossil 14a.JPG

"Back": Etobicoke Creek Fossil 14b.JPG

As for the item below, I don't even know if it is a fossil - I'm looking for some input:

Etobicoke Creek Fossil 15.JPG

Thanks so much for your help!

Monica

• I found this Informative 1

BINGO! Despite the missing bits you definitely have a trilobite and it does look at first glance like an Isotelus sp.  Not sure how many different species of that genus are present in your area and without details like genal spines, it would be hard to identify it to species.

Your second specimen is a brozoa. It appears to be a type with the small bumps called mamelons. 

Third object doesn't look like a fossil to me, but it is water-worn and not easy to see in one photo.

Great stuff,

ER

• I found this Informative 3

Nice trilobite! Yes, I think that is Isotelus.

"Fossils have richer stories to tell about the lub-dub of dinosaur life than we have been willing to listen to." - Robert T. Bakker

Hello again!

My daughter and I went out for a bit of fossil-hunting today because she wanted to find her own trilobite.  Unfortunately, no trilobite was found, but she did make another discovery that she's very proud of - it's a rock that contains an orthoconic nautiloid as well as a shell, but I'm not sure if the shell is a bivalve (mollusc) or a brachiopod since I can only see one valve and the hinge area is quite damaged.  Consequently, I was hoping that someone out there who is much more knowledgable than me might be able to recognize the specimen - please see the photo below:

Etobicoke Creek Fossil Viola Shell and Cephalopod.JPG

Thanks again!

Monica

Please tell your daughter that she's made a very nice find! That shell looks like a bivalve to me at first glance, but then again, I could be wrong. Let's let the paleozoic experts give their opinion.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/