What is the species of this urchin

moroplogo

Welcome to :tff:!!!

Is Echinolampas a possibility?

What will really help is to know where it was found and the age of the fossil.

Anyways great  specimen!

Best regards,

Max

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Thank you M.Harvey and Max for your compliment.

I don't know where the fossil was found and his age.

It would seem to me instead that it belonged to the order of  Clypeasteroida .

You might also upload some clear photos to assist with the ID.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Oooh, I fear this might not be a fossil, judging by the fact that light is passing through the urchin...

Well, what I know is that if light passes through a potentially fossil seashell, there's a very big chance it's not a fossil. I'm not sure if the same goes for urchins, but it probably does. Let's see what the experts have to say...

Best regards,

Max

• I found this Informative 1

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

11 minutes ago, Max-fossils said:

if light passes through a potentially fossil seashell, there's a very big chance it's not a fossil.

Very dependent on what the replacing mineral is. Many fossils replaced with calcite or quartz will allow the light to pass through. 

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

10 minutes ago, ynot said:

Very dependent on what the replacing mineral is. Many fossils replaced with calcite or quartz will allow the light to pass through. 

Ah okay, I didn't know that. Thanks for telling me!

And @moroplogo, sorry about what I just said, it might very well be wrong...

Warm regards,

Max

Max Derème

Yeah, likely the extant species Clypeaster rosaceus. They are common around the Caribbean.

This specimen has some white powder clinging to it... powdery limestone? Maybe it was buried in loose marine lime and then dug up, and called a fossil? Maybe it is a very old specimen of the extant species.

So then everybody can debate what is a fossil again...

Thank you @tmaier for your help .

You think really  that this test was buried in loose marine lime then there are only some spots ? Interesting !

I would guess that the white stuff is encrusting bryozoan. I agree that it is an extant Clypeaster rosaceus. It looks too thin and empty (unless it has been washed very thoroughly) to be a fossil.

But, if it has indeed been covered by limestone, then I guess it would be a young fossil.

2 hours ago, moroplogo said:

Thank you @sdsnl .

I also think that it is an clypeaster rosaceus but when I see this page https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clypeaster_rosaceus I have my doubts !

There are also a little snail on the back of this test.

snail.png

May you explain why you have doubts of the ID? Do you see something on the test that doesn't fit the description of Clypeaster rosaceus?

Some gastropods can encrust themselves on other shells, rocks, etc. The one you have looks very similar to a species I have seen encrusting on my extant shells from Japan and Taiwan, but have yet to find ID for it. You also have some tube worms on the test. If it is the species I remember from having on some shells in my old fish tank, its feeding arms are like a fan and red in color.

• I found this Informative 2

It is a modern one.

This is a fossil.

22274.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

On 09/12/2016 at 1:32 AM, sdsnl said:

May you explain why you have doubts of the ID? Do you see something on the test that doesn't fit the description of Clypeaster rosaceus?

When we see this image https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Clypeaster_rosaceus_(San_Salvador_Island,_Bahamas)_3.jpg

we notice a structure of polygonal (hexagonal)  lines that does'nt exist on my test.

Clypeaster_rosaceus_(San_Salvador_Island,_Bahamas)_3[1].jpg

4 hours ago, moroplogo said:

When we see this image https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Clypeaster_rosaceus_(San_Salvador_Island,_Bahamas)_3.jpg

we notice a structure of polygonal (hexagonal)  lines that does'nt exist on my test.

Clypeaster_rosaceus_(San_Salvador_Island,_Bahamas)_3[1].jpg

Your test has them too. Wet your test, it will help you see them. Those are the plates and exist in all echinoids. They grow bigger by growing new plates from near the mouth (and each plate grows bigger every year too). 

A certain kind of preservation makes the plates make apparent in fossils. I'm not sure how it happens, but my guess would be that when the test is a little crushed by the weight of the matrix, making the plates a bit loose but not enough to fall apart, sendiment would get in between the cracks, darkening them and highlighting the plates.