Mona

Hi everyone,

I was hunting today (finally :D) and among a lot of rudists and gastropods I found this. It is from  late cretaceous period, and I found it a few meters away from the place I found  this Araucaria few months ago (even those are marine sediments):

Could this be part of the same fossil or is it geological?

Again I have a problem uploading pics, so I will put links.

IMG_4335.jpg

IMG_4336.jpg

IMG_4337.jpg

IMG_4338.jpg

IMG_4339.jpg

Thanks!

Greetings,

Mona

Welcome back, Mona! :)
I would say it is a bark, considering how it looks in the transverse view.

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

It looks like iron stone to me. It wouldn't be the first time I've argued the possibility of it also being a fossil though. It can be a real trickster.

I'll make the guess that this ist der schlickensidens. =-)

slickenside, caused by the rubbing of two rocks surfaces under a lot of high pressure.

https://www.google.com/search?q=slickensides&btnG=Search&hl=en&gbv=1&tbm=isch

The striations on the "back" of the piece make me think this. I'm not sure how to explain the convoluted surface on the other side.

Thanks for replies.

I am hoping it is piece of bark, plants are not recorded in the place I found it (and also Araucaria I found before), according to this document http://www.nhmbeo.rs/upload/documents/casopisi/Glasnik/Vol03/Djordjevic-Milutinovic (2010).pdf

I am going to the museum of natural history in a few days (got an opportunity to work on id of some carbon plants B)), so I will ask they oppinion too.

Greetings

Mona