My God! Check Out This Asperation!

RJB

travis i think that the fossil is so amazingly awesome that its to good for the forum!

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

I am truly sorry fellas. Copy and paste the link above. It worked for me. Thats the best i can do?

RB

I guess "life-changing" fossils are worth the wait. Reminds me of the old Heinz ketchup commercial. B)

Ok, if youve ever felt like an idiot, thats how I feel right now!!! How in the GD double toothpicks do you post a link!!! Im sure any 3rd grader can do it, but I sure cant!!! and what a fossil moment ive destroyed for myself!!! if I had a 2x4 near by I would use it on myself!!!!

RB

You don't already have one of those? I haven't even been picking them up lately.

Seriously, that is pretty cool! Never seen that before. Is it authentic?

Check out the teeth on that sucker!

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Did you notice a lower tooth looks like it went the through the smaller fishes fin.

I wonder why there are so many fossils of fish choking on other fish? Is it just that you remember these more, or they are more photographed? With the low odds of becoming a fossil in the first place, added to the low odds of a fish choking to death (I've never seen a modern fish dead that way) I just wonder why there have been so many fossilized like that?

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

That is one awesome fossil!

I've personally seen a largemouth bass and a northern pike dead from asperation (floaters). It may have been more prevalent back "then" because fish were more bony and had bonier fins. If anyone is familiar with the pectoral fin of a catfish you know they have barb bone in it. If you "pet" it like a cat (towards the tail) the barb easily goes down. Pet it backwards (towards the head) the barb becomes locked up; hence if is in a fish's throat... it becomes lodged.... fish can't breath.... fish dies.

I believe that fish related to the Coelacanth..... the rare Seelacan't swallowit

- Brad

I wonder why there are so many fossils of fish choking on other fish? Is it just that you remember these more, or they are more photographed? With the low odds of becoming a fossil in the first place, added to the low odds of a fish choking to death (I've never seen a modern fish dead that way) I just wonder why there have been so many fossilized like that?

My guess would be that unlike today where you have normal daily life events not producing so much of these deaths, back at these times, there were catastrophic events that made these fossil deposits. Most notably with fish choking on one another are the Eocene deposits in the Green River FM, Wyoming. This fossil from Santana is REALLY rare. The first I have seen of such a type.

What I think could have happened to cause this where you see so many in Green River is that lakes might have dried up or become filled by environmental forces and become smaller and smaller rapidly, forcing predator and prey to be close together. In that moment, they start to feed on one another before finally becoming buried with the whole lot of them.

Just my take on it ....

Archived