Minnesota Nice

Any ideas on how to remove the green lichen staining from this partially weathered turtle without doing damage? 

IMG_0351.JPG

FullSizeRender.jpg

Frango Ut Patefaciam...I Break in Order to Reveal :hammer01:

2 minutes ago, powelli1 said:

Sorry but I don't see a turtle fossil here at all. George

another view for you...

IMG_0352.JPG

I'm having trouble seeing any bone or shell material of a turtle. 

I think it is geologic as well. 

Regards, 

EDIT: Stylemys images

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

I don't know... I believe I can see the six-sided shell componants one would expect. Look closely at the first image, but disregard the large cracks. If it is indeed a turtle, its shell appears fractured along lines not associated with typical shell "seams." It also appears coated in a thin layer of matrix and the aforementioned pesky flora.

I would use a little water and a soft toothbrush to trial clean a small area. Alternately the side (not the point) of a dental pick or similar tool may prove useful for additional mechanical attention to improvement. As always, primum non nocere. Good luck, have fun. I'll be interested to see if there is a turtle there or are my eyes fooling me.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

These two were next to the one I pulled out...none of them, including the one I pulled out were worth the effort. 

IMG_0222.JPG

With some advice, I will take a stab at cleaning it up a bit and see if its worth saving.

Even though the cracks are confusing, I also see that you have a turtle.  I've never prepped that material before, but I would be inclined to use a weak bleach solution applied with a soft artist's brush. 

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I also agree, definitely a turtle. I cannot help with the cleaning, I have never seen that on any of my White River fossils.

1 hour ago, Minnesota Nice said:

These two were next to the one I pulled out...none of them, including the one I pulled out were worth the effort.

Great shot (well, minus the finger blur, LOL). No, seriously, it illustrates my understanding of how most badlands turtles are found - blown out. Good luck with the clean up prep. I do think a little gentle scrubbing will make the piece more obviously, turtle.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

I think snolly has some good advice/

I may try with a mild dish soap and warm water first.

Bleach makes me nervous :wacko:

Thanks to all for your suggestions! I will post pixs of my progress when I have time to get back at it. Busy Holiday season is upon us and that gets in the way of playing with rocks...

Archived