hello, new here. i already purchased a legit specimen from reputable dealer but looking to add some more, because why not :)  pretty sure these two are too good to be true but would like your guys opinion. 

this one concerns me because soo many of them in small space, the ones that are presented with ventral view seem to have head detail that is normally seen with dorsal presentations if that makes sense?

Welcome to The Forum, Zach.  If you would like to get opinions on a particular fossil, please post photos in this topic (please do not mention the seller in print or photos).  We do not permit linking to "temporary" sale items.  Sales links quickly become obsolete and render a topic useless.  ;) 

We have members that are very knowledgeable about Keichosaursus.  Specific dealer recommendations can be made via PM.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

3 hours ago, britishcanuk said:

Personally, the only one I would consider at this time would be this one. 

IMG_1242.JPG

This one looks really dodgy. I wouldn't touch this one.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

I believe this is one that was prepped by a member of this site and who's work had been praised in another thread. My photo is pretty bad, but other shots on the auction were good. Looks like it's not listed anymore anyways so it's a moot point at this stage...

Hm, okay. At any rate, the reason I said it looks dodgy to me is the difference in colour. It also almost looks like the fossil is placed on top of the matrix instead of in it. Of course I might be completely wrong.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

sorry about posting link to site, i didnt know not allowed, this one i am most interested in, nothing stands out to me as being fake, but hard to get a feel for texture of bones from these pictures, appreciate any and all feedback, thanks guys

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

here are some pic of other one, it seems like one of those too good to be true pieces, but if even partially real would be worth owning hahaha.  

s-l16005.jpg

s-l16006.jpg

s-l16007.jpg

s-l16008.jpg

Thanks.  ;)  Others should be able to offer their opinions, shortly.  :) 

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

My suspicion would be that it's fine. I have bought a number of these from several of the 'main' suppliers on eBay, and they're all genuine with some minor restoration here and there.

It's really, really hard to tell from photos like this, because the eye plays tricks. What looks like painted detail may be 3D when you view it in person. 

I expect the multi-block is re-composed from genuine specimens, but I've never seen one in person to tell for sure.

The multi block looks very assembled to Me. The alignment of the critters is just to good, like they were laid out on a fresh food counter.

If You have good picture of whole piece look for continuation of the geologic fractures, they should be continuous across the piece.

Just My thoughts on it.

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

10 hours ago, ynot said:

The multi block looks very assembled to Me. The alignment of the critters is just to good, like they were laid out on a fresh food counter.

If You have good picture of whole piece look for continuation of the geologic fractures, they should be continuous across the piece.

Just My thoughts on it.

Tony

I don't think so - some of these very fine cracks are going right through several of these critters, but to be sure, better pictures would be needed.

Pictures from the back side would be necessary to find out.

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

Doesn't seem to be a composite. No evidence of multiple plates assembled - the slab looks genuine. There still might be some "enhancements" - painted legs, tails and so on. But this is really hard to tell from photos like this.

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

On 12/6/2016 at 1:22 AM, LordTrilobite said:

This one looks really dodgy. I wouldn't touch this one.

I know the seller.

This was acid-prepped if I remember. It's genuine, and one of the better prepped Keichousaurus out there which is why it looks so different from the usual ones.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

• 1 month later...

Archived