Astonishing fake auction site Chinese dinosaur fossils

Aurelius

I'm sure these must have been posted in the past, but I couldn't find them in a basic search.

They are truly horrible forgeries, of such poor quality that, to be frank, you'd need to be an imbecile to assume they were genuine. However, given that the world isn't short of complete idiots, I post them here for posterity. The seller actually tells us about his prep methods (hydrochloric acid), and each of these has many bids, exceeding $100 each at the time of writing. How many of these bids are from real people - if any - I don't know. 

s-l1600 (6).jpg

s-l1600 (5).jpg

s-l1600 (4).jpg

Hah, I hadn't even noticed that! I'd have assumed the seller was selling as replicas, if he hadn't claimed to have cleaned them with acid.

27 minutes ago, Rustdee said:

Wow! The raptor piece even has a company or individual name in the upper left corner. 

Maybe they used their time machine to put a logo in the mud!

Yes, I have seen these online, they are terrible!

I really wish auction sites would stop allowing these things.

Alas, the almighty dollar always wins.

As art objects I find them attractive, and might hang one on the wall. But sold as a fossil, that's an insult.

These are likely being cranked out by an artisan in China, and might be available on Alibaba or some direct seller like that, for very little money. And they would be selling them as objet d'art.

Very good point Tmaier.

I have picked up "art pieces" even at the Denver show for the sake of displaying something that is just fun.

Number three's pose looks familiar, I think it is modeled after some famous specimen..Perhaps a Coelophysis?

-Lyall

Lovely. Never underestimate art, although the difference between what Mother Nature and skilled artists can make is tremendous. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

The Keichosaurus skulls remind me of SpongeBob Kraft Mac and Cheese for some reason. I think my stomach is getting to me :popcorn:. Hopefully people don't think these are real!

Capture.PNG