aek

Hello, this is my first time using a dremel to prepare fossils. I decided to begin testing the dremel on an enrolled trilobite with partial cephalon because I thought it would the easiest and it was already missing pieces. So far I am happy with the results, however, it's very difficult to get into tight areas with the factory issued tip (also I wish I would have started on a less anatomically complex position!) Anybody have suggestions on where to find fine tipped carbide needles for the dremel? can't seem to find any anywhere..Or other alternative methods ..I can't afford an air scribe right now, so that is out of the question..... Thanks

IMAG8307_1.jpg

IMAG8300_1.jpg

IMAG8302_1.jpg

IMAG8311.jpg

Dremel is ok for matrix, but I wouldn't personally apply it to the specimen itself. The laborious route might require a bit more control with dental picks and pin vises if you can't go the air eraser route. Of course, always practice with material you don't mind being ruined to get the technique down first!

• I found this Informative 4

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Wow, I was about to say the same thing.  Have you tried "everybody's favorite auction site"?  I got some specialty custom fine needle point carbide tips for my electric scribe that I couldn't seem to find anywhere else. They were very reasonably priced also. I think I paid around $4 for a set of six tips. They have been used many times and not sign of dulling yet.

• I found this Informative 2

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Search that online auction site for "carbide engraver tip." You will find many configurations offered. I find the Dremel and similar engravers to be hard on the hands with prolonged use. I believe the ElectroStylus with its pencil shape is superior to the top heavy type. It is easy to get distracted by a project and end up with a painful situation, so be mindful of time spent with tool in hand. Good luck, have fun.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

7 minutes ago, snolly50 said:

Search that online auction site for "carbide engraver tip." You will find many configurations offered. I find the Dremel and similar engravers to be hard on the hands with prolonged use. I believe the ElectroStylus with its pencil shape is superior to the top heavy type. It is easy to get distracted by a project and end up with a painful situation, so be mindful of time spent with tool in hand. Good luck, have fun.

I am having a hard time finding any websites that sell the ElectroStylus.  :headscratch:

Do you have any links to share, John?

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

15 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

I am having a hard time finding any websites that sell the ElectroStylus.  :headscratch:

I purchased both of mine from Geological Enterprises in Ardmore, Oklahoma.

Here is a link I found to an an offer, but it's about $30 more than I remember paying!

http://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/Power-Tools/Etchers-Engravers?searchterm=Electro-Stylus&navid=4287924549+12107245+4294940980

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

I would also not get a Dremel too close to an actual fossil, as Kane suggested.  And I can;t tell from the photos if you did indeed get too close.  Without an air abrasive, I think pinvice and sharp needle is the way to get those nooks and crannies.

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks everybody - greatly appreciated! I have a ton of fossils to work on this winter, so will try all of your suggestions.

Harbor Freight has tiny drills, carbide and diamond tipped

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

14 hours ago, caldigger said:

I just Googled it and came up with a long list of retailers.

I Googled it , as well - The issue is that that "long list of retailers" only sell replacement bits, or they are out of stock on the item - no longer available. :( 

The link Snolly shared, (one of several to that supplier - the one I tried said it was not available?) puts the engraver right up there in price near some of the cheaper air scribes. :headscratch:

It appears that Geologic Enterprises is the only one that actually offers it for sale at a "cheaper" price. Still, $ 80.00 U.S. isn't that cheap. 

I think the Dremel Engraver (around $ 20.00 US. )  with a modified carbide tip ( around $11.00 US) from one of the sellers of them on the auction sites is a more budget-wise choice.

Regards, 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

5 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

I Googled it , as well - The issue is that that "long list of retailers" only sell replacement bits, or they are out of stock on the item - no longer available. :( 

The link Snolly shared, (one of several to that supplier - the one I tried said it was not available?) puts the engraver right up there in price near some of the cheaper air scribes. :headscratch:

It appears that Geologic Enterprises is the only one that actually offers it for sale at a "cheaper" price. Still, $ 80.00 U.S. isn't that cheap. 

I think the Dremel Engraver (around $ 20.00 US. )  with a modified carbide tip ( around $11.00 US) from one of the sellers of them on the auction sites is a more budget-wise choice.

Regards, 

I believe I paid 15 for the engraver and 4 for the tip set all with free shipping so everything was just at the 20 dollar range. 

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

you can by a Dremel engraver for $ 20 at most Tool outlets (Home Depot, Lowes etc)

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

• 3 weeks later...

I initially went the Drexel tool with a carbide bit and found that the vibration was too much for some matrix it fine for others. The biggest problem going that route was the vibration of the tool made my hand go numb over time. Wearing a thick glove really helped with the hand going numb.

• Thank You 1

As @snolly50 wisely advises, it is important to take breaks. Perhaps no more than 10 minute sessions followed by a small break. Hand-arm vibration syndrome (HAVS) is a real thing, and can result in permanent nerve damage. I learned that the hard way the first time I started prepping using a Dremel, getting caught up for too long in a project only to be later woken up throughout the night with painful numbness in my index and middle fingers. Fortunately, the condition was short-lived, but it was a learning lesson.

A thick glove can help mitigate the effects of the vibration, and even better would be to invest in anti-vibration / shock dampening gloves specifically designed for those who work with vibrating equipment. These will run you between $15 and $100, depending on brand and quality. That being said, gloves like these are not a license to go on a marathon prep session as it may still result in neuromuscular damage. The gloves may only mask or defer the sensation of numbness which is generally the cue to stop and take a break. So, even with shock-dampening gloves, I wouldn't push beyond the 10-15 minute mark. Another tip is to ensure you are working in a relatively warm environment or that you are wearing clothing that keeps you warm to promote good blood circulation which may reduce the potential for harm. So, in other words, using a Dremel for six hours straight in a subzero garage might not be the best idea, lol.

• I found this Informative 3

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Try the common everyday safety pin.  Have different size points. Cheap and effect.

I use them all the time on all my prepping..especially on trilobites. Like my cover photo.