Are these Claudiosaurus' real?

bgreenstone

Last night I was contacted by a person on Facebook (red flag #1) who claims to have 7 Claudiosaurus fossils from Madagascar that he wants to sell me.  While I would love to have these, I am of course very skeptical of their authenticity.   Several of them consist of both the positive and negative plate which is a plus.  When I asked how much he wanted for them his reply was "make me an offer" (red flag #2).

So, can anyone tell from these photos he sent if these are real or fake?  Any suggestions how I should proceed with him?  I think he is in Mauritius (red flag #3) He says they're around 30cm / 1ft. in size.

-Brian

unnamed (1).jpg

unnamed (2).jpg

unnamed (3).jpg

unnamed (4).jpg

unnamed (5).jpg

unnamed (6).jpg

unnamed.jpg

I am no Claudiosaurus expert, but I see no red flags on them compared to the genuine specimens I've seen upclose.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

The specimens might be ok. I don't see a red flag.

A save transaction will be another story. I wouldn't dare to send money to Mauritius hoping to get the fossils in return.

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

I don't know much about these but they're ugly which makes me think they are more likely real! If they're still in Africa you could probably get a good price and resell them in the states if they are authentic!

Thanks for the feedback, guys!  After talking with him more I do think these are real, but what is not realistic is his idea of what they're worth.  Some of them will cost more to ship then they're worth in my opinion.  Really I think only 2 of them are any good at all, so I may make him an offer, but he's not going to like it.

• 8 months later...

Hi. I just created an account so I could answer.
I'm interested to know how things turned out with this buyer. You see, I have returned from a trip to Madagascar in May, and I saw these very same fossils on display in Ilakaka. My photos are too big to attach here, but contact me if you'd like to discuss their provenance. I'll make these photos public on my Facebook account, if that helps. Yes, they're real, but whether they actually belong to your seller is another question altogether. Cheers Marie Amyot

I think in the end the consensus was that they were real, but the guy wanted Way, way too much money for them considering the poor condition.

I have no doubt that these specimens are 100% real. What I have doubts is whether these specimens really belong to the "seller" in question. Last year, a "seller" who claimed to live in the Republic of Mauritius also contacted me by Facebook offering me a specimen for sale, I sent him money and so far I have not received anything and he has deleted his account from Facebook. I'll give you some advice! If you decide to bargain with him, ask him to advertise on Ebay for you, so your money will be protected. If he does not accept then it is because he has bad intentions! Usually the fossils of Madagascar are beautiful, and the state of preservation is generally excellent. Below, in the photo, I give an example of a rare specimen of Barasaurus besairiei discovered in the Sakamena Formation, Ranohira, in the Southwest of Madagascar, which is part of my private collection.

1184873402.png

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

Archived