Otodus Formation location at Purse SP

Boneheadz

Ive been wondering if anyone has any knowledge about the fossil formations located at Purse State Park and which Formations generally produce large Otodus teeth? 

scene3.JPG

Nice teeth.

There is only one fossil formation at Purse State Park, the Aquia Formation.  There is only one member of the Aquia Formation at Purse State Park, the Piscataway Member.  Zones 2, 3, 4, and 5 of the Piscataway Member are at Purse State Park.  Zones 3 and 5 are hard indurated ledges.  The larger Otodus teeth tend to come out of zone 4.  Although I have a 2 7/8" anterior Otodus tooth from zone 2.

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 8

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

6 hours ago, Boneheadz said:

Thanks Marco! How can I tell the difference between the different zones?

If you are at the cliffs that are about 1/2 mile downriver from the trail at Purse State Park, zones 2, 3,4 and 5 are there.  Zone 2 is at the base of the cliffs.  Then there is a very hard ledge, which is only a couple of feet thick at most, which is zone 3.  Above this ledge is zone 4.  Then you have another ledge, which also is a couple of feet thick at most, which is zone 5.  Above zone 5 is overburden.  Sometimes it is difficult to see the ledges in the cliffs.  Other times they are very visible because of erosion above and below them.  On the beach after a slide, zone 3 and zone 5 are very hard and you need a rock hammer to break the material apart.  Zone 2 and zone 4 are much softer and loaded with visible shells.

If you get to the Potomac, using the BLM trail, which is just upriver of Purse State Park the cliffs there which are on either side of the trail are zone 2.

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 6

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png