Raggedy Man

Dinosaur tail found preserved in amber

DPS Ammonite

A feathered non-avian theropod dinosaur tail has been found in mid-Cretaceous amber from Myanmar. A Chinese paleontologist recognized the importance of the tail inside of a piece of amber sold in a Myanmar market. The seller priced the piece as ordinary amber and not as a spectacular scientific find. The last time I asked about what a fossil was in a piece of amber the dealer raised the price. See this article from the current issue of Current Biology and from CNN. 

“A Feathered Dinosaur Tail with Primitive Plumage Trapped in Mid-Cretaceous Amber” by Lida Xing. Preprint in Current Biology: http://www.cell.com/current-biology/fulltext/S0960-9822(16)31193-9

"Once in a lifetime find': Dinosaur tail discovered trapped in amber" By Katie Hunt, CNN: http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/08/health/dinosaur-tail-trapped-in-amber-trnd/?iid=ob_lockedrail_bottommedium

FossilDudeCO

Wow, this is amazing!

Almost sounds too good to be true!

Raggedy Man
4 minutes ago, FossilDudeCO said:

Wow, this is amazing!

Almost sounds too good to be true!

That's what I thought! lol

Scylla

I saw this, here come the Jurassic Park references. Amazing find. 

TyrannosaurusRex

And to think it was nearly lost to the world! I am so grateful those scientists happened to pass through the amber market!

Fossildude19

Topics merged. :) 

Raggedy Man
52 minutes ago, TyrannosaurusRex said:

And to think it was nearly lost to the world! I am so grateful those scientists happened to pass through the amber market!

It's all about the right place and time. With a heaping spoon full of luck...lol

Gizmo

Amazing! :D

sseth

Truly Amazing!!!

LordTrilobite

Wow.

Bguild

Very cool! I just read this article and went to share it, but you had beaten me to it! A truly amazing find.

Raggedy Man
55 minutes ago, Bguild said:

Very cool! I just read this article and went to share it, but you had beaten me to it! A truly amazing find.

I think a few others had the same thought and they merged the topics. It's amazing what we find in amber. I knew this was one story that would be shared and enjoyed by all once I read it. A dinosaur the size of a sparrow?!? I mean come on!! lol

abctriplets

How much sap would be needed to preserve a T. rex?

Trilobiting

What an amazing find! :faint:

britishcanuk
6 hours ago, TyrannosaurusRex said:

I am so thankful for the amber market, otherwise it would never have been found in the first place. It must be a goldmine in one of these markets, would love to visit one sometime.

sandgroper

What an amazing story, just fantastic!

tmaier

Well, that must have been a terrible death, getting your butt stuck in resin. I'm not seeing a lot of sympathy here for the critter. Let's have a moment of silence for the poor critter.

OK! That's enough! You may resume your normal demeanor.

If I had found this in a market, I would have assumed it was fake. I'm much the skeptic.

RJB

Amazing what mother nature can do.

RB

aerogrower

What a fantastic article. My wife and I raise and breed Emus and the resemblance to the fine plumage of the Emu is almost spot on! Wonder how close a relative it could be? Thanks for posting.

tmaier

It looks like down feathers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Down_feather

Ptychodus04

I would like to remind everyone of Archaeoraptor, the fabricated hoax that fooled the entire scientific community. While this is very cool and an amazing discovery, I am cautious to get too excited about world shattering discoveries that come from a Burmese flea market. :popcorn:

tmaier

You aren't suggesting that there are people putting all kinds of things in amber and selling them on the internet, are you?

https://www.google.com/search?q=fake+fossil+in+amber&btnG=Search&hl=en&gbv=1&tbm=isch

Anchiornis

Love this sooo much!

Hopefully, I don't think this is a hoax due to the random insects in the amber. Unique fossils come from unexpected places!