Boneheadz

Getting back in the swing of things after a very hot summer in which i did little to no collecting. Headed down to Westmoreland for the day, hoping something good would be laying there. It was a beautiful day with minimal wind but the tide wasn't all that low due to recent rain, but water was clear and calm enough. Found a nice little mako that i was able to get a picture of before i picked it up. Also found a big chunk of bone that still had some matrix still on it, not sure what it is or what its from, if anyone knows anything feel free to chime in. On the way home I stopped at George Washington's Birth place to just walk around as i usually do. Thats when i came across these signs, it seems like theres been a problem with bull sharks recently. If anyone has a knowledge about that id love to hear it. There wasn't anyone down there at the time for me to ask. Enjoy!

Boneheadz

Bone1.jpg

Bone2.jpg

Finds.jpg

Measure.jpg

NH-Mako.jpg

Warning.jpg

Nice finds, glad You could get out and do some hunting!

Bull sharks are known to swim into freshwater rivers. There is a record of a bull shark attack in St. Louis. Missouri.

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

This past summer they were tearing it up around there from colonial beach down to gw's. I saw a few pictures and a video someone posted on a fishing site I follow. They pup around there every year but more and more seem to show up every year it seems. I think the explosion of cownose rays  is helping the population grow and keeping them in the river longer. 

2 minutes ago, hokiehunter said:

This past summer they were tearing it up around there from colonial beach down to gw's. I saw a few pictures and a video someone posted on a fishing site I follow. They pup around there every year but more and more seem to show up every year it seems. I think the explosion of cownose rays  is helping the population grow and keeping them in the river longer. 

GRRREEEAAATTTT..... haha

Very nice hemi.  As far as the bull sharks, they are in every coastal river along the central and southern east coast. We catch them frequently in the summer ( or maybe I should say we hook them ) in one of our local rivers. There is an area where we flounder gig at night by walking in extreme shallows along sand bars. Some nights the thrashing and crashing in the channel about 100 yards out is downright scary. 

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

Nice finds! I took my family to George Washington's Birth place for the first time over Thanksgiving weekend. After taking the tour around the grounds, we drove down to the beach to check it out and that was the first thing my wife saw and it freaked her out. As I told her, I'm not aware of any attacks taking place in the Potomac so I'm pretty sure that she has nothing at all to worry about! My personal feeling is that the signs are simply there to try to limit folks from swimming...when we were there the tide was ripping out so I could see that it isn't a great place to swim.

Rob :D

5 minutes ago, RCW3D said:

As I told her, I'm not aware of any attacks taking place in the Potomac so I'm pretty sure that she has nothing at all to worry about!

Bull sharks are one of the most aggressive of sharks and are credited with more attacks on Humans than any other species of shark!

Your Wife had good reason to be afraid, and the signs are there as a serious warning!!!

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

3 minutes ago, ynot said:

Bull sharks are one of the most aggressive of sharks and are credited with more attacks on Humans than any other species of shark!

Your Wife had good reason to be afraid, and the signs are there as a serious warning!!!

Tony

Tony, I'm going to disagree here...yes, they are known for going in shallow water and being aggressive, but look at the statistics, the probability is so astronomically low that it is hardly worth concerning yourself over. My whole job revolves around risk analysis (I'm a safety engineer), this is more of an emotional fear than a realistic one. With all my trips to WSP (further downriver than Wash birthplace), I can't tell you how many hundreds if not thousands of folks I saw swimming and wading over the summer. After seeing the sign I researched shark attacks in the Potomac and couldn't find any recorded attacks. They do periodically catch some bull sharks in the river but I'm not about to alter my routine in the least, I have a much better chance of being killed by a cow when I walk through the pasture to my deer hunting site than I do by a shark at my tooth hunting site! LOL! 

Rob :D

It is very important to be aware of your surroundings when  you are out inthe field. Also one should always heed any warnings placed there for your protection. This doesn't mean you have to completely stop what your doing. It is intended to inform you of the risk you will be taking so hopefully you don't become a "statistic".

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Archived