Roger DeCook

I'm gonna go ahead and say it, without asking for the important details like location where it was found, age, etc. It looks like an extremely worn, senile, Equus upper molar.

Thanks for your help. I found this while digging a hole out in my woods. It was buried about 2 -3 feet deep. I would say it was in glacial till that was undisturbed by humans. I'm from near Rochester Minnesota (SE MN).  Thanks again

DSCF1897.JPG

Roger, welcome to TFF from another Rochester boy. Nice find. Are you part of the DeCook clan that operates quarries in the area.....agates on my mind!

Frango Ut Patefaciam...I Break in Order to Reveal :hammer01:

Yes I'm one of the 13 boys in the DeCook family. I have some more old bones that were brought up from the dredge down deep in the sand pits. I would have to find where I put them. So are you a Lake Superior Agate collector? I have some of those also. What do you think the tooth is from?   ROGER

I found on Equus example in the early 80's in drift material west of Rochester, It was in better shape then what you have pictured, but I would agree with Calhounensis on a well worn horse molar. Would like to meet up sometime to get a look at the bones! Have you found any tusk material or Mammoth material? Not uncommon in the drift area. I recall seeing a report of the tusk finds in SE Minnesota and it numbered in the hundreds, mostly from sand/graval pits. 

Frango Ut Patefaciam...I Break in Order to Reveal :hammer01:

We could meet somewhere I guess. I think some of the bones are in the freezer somewhere. Some are in pristine condition (some still have bone marrow in them I think). I don't know what the bones are from. I think I might (?) have some crushed pieces of mammoth tusks that came through dredge. I think there might be a couple Indian stones (?) too. Where and when would you like to meet?   Roger

Archived