Brazilian Fish

TyrannosaurusRex

Picked this fish up at a sale this morning, because I recognized what it was. Unfortunately, half of it is gone. I have 0 experience with Brazilian fish. What species is this?

Thanks.

IMG_0104.JPGIMG_0105.JPG

I would guess Tharrhias araripis

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

2 hours ago, oilshale said:

I would guess Tharrias araripis

Interesting! Since I wasn't able to find a whole lot about the species, is there a way I can learn about them?

And also, is there a way for me to restore this piece? 

An updated review of the fish faunas from the Crato and Santana formations in Brazil a close relationship to the Tethys fauna.pdf

If you are interested in more literature about fossil fish from Brazil and about prepping methods, send me a PM

Have fun

Thomas

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

I think there is not much prepping you can do. The only possibility would be to do some chemical prepping. If you are unexperienced, this could be fun and you might learn a lot, but it would be rather risky:

STANDARD PREPARATION TECHNIQUE FOR FOSSIL FISH FROM THE ROMALDO MEMBER.pdf

Archived