Combo Tool - Probe, Depth Gauge, Spear

Bone Daddy

Hi Folks,

I just wanted to share an idea with the group. It's not revolutionary, but it's a very useful for me.

After trying out a few different things to use as a probe (the usual golf club handle, iron rod, long machete, etc), I decided to make my own tool.

I took a 6-foot section of sturdy (but thin) bamboo cane pole and attached a metal spear tip to it. Well, the tip is actually an authentic 18th century, Spanish ox-goad that I acquired in a trade with a collector in New Mexico. (Apparently these ox-goads are not particularly rare). It's basically a forged iron cone that tapers to a tip. The tip is blunted and is not very sharp. I could have used something else, but I wanted to use this ox-goad for something purposeful instead of letting it sit in my collection cabinet. If it gets lost, it's not an expensive loss.

Back to the tool. After securely attaching the metal point to the pole, I used a measuring tape to measure 1-foot increments and marked them with white paint and the numbers 1 through 6, starting from the bottom and working up. This allows the pole to function as a depth gauge to measure the river height. 

Lastly, I epoxied a small pocket compass onto the top end of the pole.

The end result is a multi-purpose tool :

1) walking stick
2) fossil probe
3) depth gauge
4) improvised weapon (hopefully this is never necessary)

I use this to poke around the riverbed when I cannot see the bottom. The metal tip allows me to hear the welcome crunch of gravel or tink-tink sound of bone hidden in sand. I've used it to steady my balance a few times in swift currents. I use it to probe dark holes before I reach my hand into them. Since we frequently hunt on a stretch surrounded by private property that we have permission to use, I will often climb onto and over the bank. It has come in handy when trying to scale steep, slippery banks.

Now it's one of my constant companions when we go hunting. It fits in the kayak or canoe without getting in the way too much. When we pass over areas, I will take the pole and drop it down over the side of the kayak to test the water depth in dark areas and look for gravel.  And it has saved me one time from a possible snake bite. I was probing a rock pile with it and it flushed out a water moccasin. This same rock pile yielded a partial horse pelvis, dire wolf tooth, and dozens of smaller common pieces like shark teeth and gator scutes.

At the moment, I don't have a photo of it, and it's in my soninlaw's garage, so I don't have it handy right now to snap a picture of it. But, it's fairly simple and your imagination can probably conjure up a good mental image of what it looks like. I'll post a photo of it in a few days after I go there next.

Best regards and happy huntings,

MikeG

• I found this Informative 2

Bamboo that is used as a hiking cane likes to split upward with the grain, and to give it a longer life you can take some 16 gauge solid core electrical wire, strip off the insulation, and spiral wrap that up from the bottom. Then use a high wattage soldering iron and tack solder it here and there to make thge wire hold on. It holds the bamboo together and prevents splitting. You can also use rope and glue to do this.

Drill a hole near the top of the cane and put a leather thong strap through it so you can let go of the cane, and the cane dangles from your wrist, so you don't have to put it down to use your hand.

I like a cane height of about eye high, and the strap hole should be neck high, and the strap should be long enough that your hand ends up dangling from it a little below shoulder height. You'll figure out the most comfortable height as you use it, so use a long leather thong that alows you to adjust the height later on. The wrong height makes your arm get a cramp.

We have a lot of bamboo growing wild around here, and find a lot of uses for it. One day my son and I cut some cane and used it for fishing. You don't need a license if you are a resident fishing on the shore with a cane.

I was thinking a cane with a metal detector in the end would be cool for hiking.

Another neat thing to do with a hiking cane is to use the hollow space at the top for storage of stuff, like a lighter and a hook and line.

• I found this Informative 1

This particular piece of bamboo was actually one of my grandfather's cane poles for fishing. So, it has a bit of sentimental value. I feel like a small part of him is with me when I am out there, since he is one of the key people in my early life that taught me an appreciation of nature and outdoors. 

That is great idea about reinforcing the cane with wire. I'll look into something like that.  Also, that is good idea about the leather thong.  I now have some more modifications to do.

Thanks!   :)

Good info on  your bamboo pole.

I also like bamboo.  I get bamboo ski poles at the thrift store for a dollar or so. Ski as in  'snow' ski... cold white stuff not found in Florida.  I prefer bamboo to the newer metal hiking poles.

They are light, good for descending the hoodoos, crossing creeks, etc.  Also have a metal tip and grip. I can also take the plastic basket off for probing through clay for ammonites. The pole is also a useful as a scale when taking a photo.

Not so good for protection. Then again, a Grizzly might appreciate a toothpick. 

IMG_5432.JPG

2 minutes ago, Canadawest said:

Good info your bamboo pole.

I also like bamboo.  I get bamboo ski poles at the thrift store for a dollar or so. Ski as in  'snow' ski... cold white stuff not found in Florida.  I prefer bamboo to the newer metal hiking poles.

They are light, good for descending the hoodoos, etc.  Also have a metal tip and grip. I can also take the plastic basket off for probing through clay for ammonites. The pole is also a useful as a scale when taking a photo.

I never thought of using a ski pole. Of course, finding one in Florida is probably impossible. 

I used to live in St. Louis and did my fair share of shoveling driveways. I don't miss the cold. I can handle what passes for cold down here. The locals are wearing parkas when it hits 50F, and I am running around in shorts and flip flops. LOL.

Canbadwest mentioned ski poles, and that is where I got the idea for the leather thong on the hiking stick. I used to cross country ski in the great white north, and the design for the ski pole strap is where I stole my walking cane strap. You come up through the strap from below, then grab the pole. The strap supports your hand, making it easier to hold for many hours. Also, if you let go of the pole, the strap is still on your wrist, so you didn't loose your pole.

So look at how a snow skier holds a pole with his strap, and you will see what I mean. It makes holds the pole more comfortable.